The Difference Between Them

The Difference Between Them

Real world terrorism vs. real world innocence...

747
The Difference Between Them
Huffington Post

This issue has been happening for a while. There has been a conversation on social media, in my family, and amongst my friends. Let's use an example first. A black person commits a crime, what's the headline? "Black man kills white cop who recently got an award for 'Cop of the year'". A white person commits a crime, what's the headline? "Pulitzer Prize winner involved in shooting a black man" See the difference? Let's talk about it.

It happened recently with the Vegas shooting. The initial headline just said, "Vegas Concert Massacre" or something along those lines. But as days went by and reporters received more information about what happened and who the terrorist was, new stories surfaced and with new stories came new headlines. Headlines describing all the good things the terrorist did and things he was involved in, literally all good things. But only a couple news sources gave him the title he deserved which is terrorist.

Now let's say a black person gets killed by a cop. The detention he got in middle school for skipping class shows up in headlines. His parking tickets, the fact that his parents weren't in his life growing up, and his record are all blasted for the world to see. He would get the terrorist title when he was the one gunned down in the street.

This issue seems to ignite riots and hatred across the country. There is almost always an uproar online when this happens. It honestly bothers me which influenced me to write this piece. I've noticed that a lot of my articles have to do with race. But I've also noticed that there are always race issues for me to talk about because racial things happen every day.

I also want readers to know that I, by any means, am not racist

and I don't mean to stir the pot but these are things that need to be addressed and if no one else addresses them, I'll be the one to do it.