The Desk: The Claim of my Throne

The Desk: The Claim of my Throne

The battle to claim my rightful throne of the classroom.

4
The Desk: The Claim of my Throne
Megan Crumly

The first week of school is normally very nerve racking for everyone. SO many questions are running through peoples minds. "I wonder if my teacher is nice" "What time does this class end?" "Can I graduate yet?" For me, my question is "Where am I going to sit?" The first day of school is also the day everybody marks where they are going sit for the whole semester. Personally, I have a very particular way of picking my desk and announcing it. The first day of one of my classes, I walked in and went to the closest open desk I could find. Now here is where my inner theater kid comes out. I decided to announce that I had chosen my desk and it will forever be my throne. I lightly toss my books down on the desk allowing it to make a thud. That made some of my classmates notice me but not enough. As I sit in my chair, I discover that it makes an annoying squeak as move. That gives me an idea. I start obnoxiously moving all sorts of ways in my chair, annoying my classmates enough to turn and look at me and notice that I was there. That did it. I had claimed my desk and I wouldn't have anything to worry about for the semester. Or so I thought. There was one day that I had to miss class because of family matters (some of my family shows their selves every once in a blue moon so I couldn't miss seeing them). So, the next day I went back to that class and a girl was sitting, in my desk, that I obnoxiously made a very big racket out of announcing my claim on THAT desk. MY desk. I thought 'Okay, just let it go Caitlin. You can get your desk back the next time you come to class.' Thankfully, the desk behind my desk was open so I sat down. As I sat there plotting my reven------- I mean, thinking of all the ways I was gonna study because I am a great student who cares about her education-------- I slowly began to realize this whole situation was not okay. I'm sitting in a desk that is too far from the professor, I am also right under an air vent so the desk is its own Antarctica. BUT I am not going to do anything about it. At least until the moment is right. So the next couple of weeks, two days a week, I let the girl think she had won. I let her believe she had taken the seat and was safe. I even would get to class early and would take my Antarctica of a desk so that when she came in and saw me she would think I had given up taking my seat back. She started getting to class later and later. That's when I knew it was time to strike. About a month ago, I had been the first person to get to class. An empty classroom, an empty chalkboard and an empty desk. MY desk. My throne. I silently went over to the desk and sat down. The perfect seat in the room that was just right for hearing and seeing the professor speak. I felt at home. I got all of my notebooks, highlighters, and pens out of my backpack and placed them all on my desk. I played on my phone as my other classmates arrived. I sat in a position so that my face was sorta blocked by my phone but I could see through the glass windows of the doors. And then she arrived. One minute before class was to start, she and one of her friends walk into the classroom. She doesn't see me until she steps into the classroom and makes direct eye contact with me. I stare back and slowly a smile appears on my face as if I was saying 'Checkmate'. She then realizes that she needs to find a desk. But all of them are full, except for the desk in the farthest back right corner of the room that just so happens to be the "bad" desk out of all of them. And it just so happens to be under an air vent too. Since that day, she hasn't tried to take my desk. My mission was complete.