The Definition Of True Beauty

The Definition Of True Beauty

Society's definition vs. the true definition of beauty.

26174
The Definition Of True Beauty
@simplyrosiephotography, Instagram

In the 21st century, for a woman to be considered beautiful, there seems to be quite a complicated checklist: thin but curvy, perfect teeth, a pretty smile, unblemished skin, tall but not too tall, and the list can go on forever. This may be an unpopular opinion, but as a millennial woman I believe that true beauty does not come from the outside but instead is based on the inside. A woman’s beauty comes from her character. A woman’s strength, dignity, and confidence are what should define beauty. Being a Proverbs 31 woman should be more important to us than having a skinny waist with a big butt and having men drool simply over the outward appearance.

True beauty comes from the inside. Being compassionate and having good character are virtuous traits and society needs to stop telling us differently. Proverbs 31: 25-26 says, “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.” A Proverbs 31 woman is strong and without fear; she trusts fully in the Lord. She is not worried about the future. She is wise and speaks of the Lord and His word faithfully. Her character is based on her hospitality and compassion. Proverbs 31:20 says, “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy.” Being compassionate and loving towards even the people you don’t know is beauty. Not only speaking of doing good things but having your actions match your words is beauty. Having a gentle and kind heart is beauty. Real beauty is forgetting about yourself and forgetting about your outward “beauty.”

A woman like this does not need a man and is doing perfectly okay without one. She knows a man does not define her. This comes with confidence as well. If insecurity is in your heart, you will always be putting others down. A truly beautiful woman knows that nothing is a competition. You don’t need to compete for who gets the most attention from boys or whose waist is thinner. A beautiful and confident woman does not need attention from a man and that is what is so captivating about a woman like this.

“Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight.” -1 Peter 3:1-4

"Don't be eye candy, be soul food."