The Definition Of Leadership

The Definition Of Leadership

What is your definition?

111
The Definition Of Leadership
Woodhull

What kind of leadership skills do you have? How can you effectively lead this group of people? These are questions we hear everyday whether it be in school, sports or at your job. But what exactly does leadership mean? According to Merriam-Webster, leadership is "the power or ability to lead other people." That's a nice definition of leadership to a basic point, but I don't think it's enough. Leadership can mean so much more than just "leading someone." So what does leadership mean to you? I asked these people what leadership means to them, and here are their answers.

"Leadership, to me, is being a team player and helping guide everyone in the same direction." - Heidi K.

"To me, leadership is about putting other people before yourself. It is sacrifice." - Morgan K.

"Leadership allows me to express who I truly am and show people what I am capable of accomplishing. Through leadership, I have had amazing opportunities and gained more confidence in myself, which has helped me over come several obstacles throughout my life." - Rylan M.

"For me, leadership means being someone in charge of a group to achieve a goal. Being the person who knows when to talk and when to listen. It's being able to come up with ideas and realizing you may need the help of others and doing helpful things even when you don't get anything out of it." - Hailey S.

"Leadership is allowing yourself to be superior, but in an inferior way. Leading people without force so they become leaders themselves." - Taylor A.

"Leadership is the ability to see what you are capable of and using that ability to help others work hard, realize their worth and reach their goals." - Alex B.

"To me, leadership is selflessness. It's not only the way you conduct yourself and the way you live your life when others are around you, but also how you give back when no one else is watching. It's so rewarding to inspire others, and it's what I live for." - Noah K.

"My definition of leadership is taking action to lead yourself and others around you to do better!" - Lauren A.

"To me, leadership is being selfless, and be willing to lend a hand in times of need." - Kelsey A.

"Leadership isn't just being able to guide and lead others. To be a good leader, you must also let others lead you! Leadership is using multiple skills to help others." - Brooke T.

"Leadership, to me, means being someone who can hold others accountable and create a positive atmosphere where they can succeed. I believe that leaders don't always have to be in the forefront receiving all the credit either." - Josh K.

"Leadership comes from a place of humility. It is recognizing the potential in others and helping them access it." - Carly B.

"To me, leadership is being able to listen to and work with others while being able to get a task done or challenge met. It's also about being able to communicate well and incorporate the ideas of the people you are working with into the task/job at hand." - Emily T.

"To me, leadership is encouraging others to step out of their box and do things they wouldn't normally do, such as volunteering or taking on a leadership role for a club or an organization." - Shelby Z.

"Leadership is possessing the ability to guide people in a cohesive way and helping them to work together to achieve a common goal, while staying humble and giving everyone a sense of power and accomplishment." - Bret C.

As you can see, leadership is so much more than just leading someone. It's stepping out of your comfort zone, listening to others, making a dream a reality and so much more! With all these different definitions of leadership, it allows for growth in so many capacities. Don't think that you aren't a leader if your definition doesn't fit any of the above. These people are leaders in their own ways, and that's what makes leadership unique. Be a leader in your own way, and you could make a significant difference in the life of someone else, the community and maybe even the world!