I Don't Need To Keep Up With The Kardashians To Go About My Everyday Life, And Neither Should You

The danger with idolizing celebrities.

79

As humans, we are imperfect. Sometimes it doesn't seem that way when society puts celebrities on a pedestal. These also imperfect people are treated like they are the best thing since sliced bread. Due to their fame and fortune, they are able to set the precedent for the perfect, glamorous lifestyle we would all kill to have. People love to try and escape from their seemingly boring lives by living vicariously through celebrities. Ultimately, by making these comparisons to the extravagant lifestyles of famous people, it robs us of joy. It also causes us to have unrealistic expectations of what our lives should look like, and what we should value.

Forms of media don't help change this unhealthy social norm by making these celebrities seem like they are all something we commoners should try to emulate. I use the Kardashians and their TV show as an example because their show portrays unhealthy relationships where the family members seem to care more about drama and making money than others. As a society, I believe we should strive to find meaning in peoples character and the difference we can make rather than materialistic things. I believe we commoners should strive to rise above.

Don't get me wrong, not all celebrities are bad influences and it is important to have role models. However, the important thing to remember is to not count out other remarkable people because their influence isn't as strong. Don't overlook the extraordinary in our everyday lives because it is lost in the ordinary. We are all capable of greatness. The thing is that we will never achieve that greatness if we are too focused on the wrong things. So I want to urge you to know your worth and find your purpose through other outlets that do not involve keeping up with the Kardashians or any other celebrities.