The Cost of Beauty

The Cost of Beauty

Spoiler Alert: It Actually Does Have a Price Tag

14
The Cost of Beauty
Grind Stone

Everyone at one point or another wants to be called beautiful. Whether you’re a needy one who wants to hear it every day, twice a day or just want it once in awhile when getting dressed up; everyone wants to hear it at one point or another. If you’re comfortable enough in your skin to rock your all natural look all the time, more power to you! If you either think you don’t look good without it or just enjoy your “me” time in the morning with your favorite pallet, you know how much makeup costs. From BB cream to foundation then back around again to mascara and eye shadow, it seems that there is an endless need for countless beauty products that promise flawless finishes and anti-shiny foreheads.

All of this sounds well and good, at least is does until you look at the prices. For instance, a BeautyBlender is $20; that is simply one of the tool to actually put the stuff on your face. Then add in the foundation you are actually blending; it can be as cheap as $10 or as expensive as $82, if not more. In addition, eye shadow for instance, has a hefty cost as well; the very popular Urban Decay Naked Pallet is $54. Then tack on the other layers such as powder, highlighter, etc., there’s definitely no end in sight for your bank account.

Now that we have clarified that makeup is expensive, let’s talk about hair and clothes, which are the other pieces of the battle armor many pile up on the daily. An average, women’s haircuts cost $43, which is specifically only for cuts; this is not including highlights, lowlights, toners, or any of the hundreds of other costs that women invest in every three months. According to Glamour Fashion, the average cost of a woman’s daily outfit costs $137 more than the average man’s. This is factoring in a $33 blouse, $57 knit sweater, and other necessities like underwear and accessories. It’s impossible to be a put-together woman without having to spend at least a small fortune on your daily beauty efforts throughout your life.

All these facts are not meant to discourage you as a buyer, but rather to empower you! Save where you can and compromise where you can’t. Instead of buying the most expensive pallet, buy one that is comparable. TooFaced Natural Matte Pallet is $36 and is still great quality with long lasting colors. ASOS, an online clothing brand, offers 10% discounts for college students; they offer anywhere from higher formal wear to the ratty tee you’re going to wear to the Chainsmoker’s concert next weekend.

We all need products every now and then and it isn’t our fault it all adds up to be expensive. As consumers, we just need to be aware of our cost effective options and know that, yes it is ok to want to look (as the kids say these days) on fleek.