The Comfort Zone is a Dangerous Place..

The Comfort Zone is a Dangerous Place..

"The comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.."

134
The Comfort Zone is a Dangerous Place..
ColourBox

As I start to write this article, I’m sitting on the couch comfortably in front of the television watching Netflix. I begin to think that I’ve been living in this apartment for almost 9 years and in this same city for 20 years. It’s crazy that I’ve lived here in Boston for practically my whole life. I’m not saying I have regrets because I don’t. I love Boston and I always will no matter where I go in life. Boston is an amazing city that has so much to offer, but it’s not the world. I’ve met many people that have told me “I’ve been living/working here for 30, 40 years…”, then they tell me “I wish I would’ve done this or that..” There seems to be many regrets and aspirations left behind in these people’s lives. Sometimes I’ll tell them that it’s never too late to do what you want to do, but they don’t seem to amused by it and just brush it off by saying “I’m too old now..” or “There’s no point anymore..” I’ve heard of old people finally graduating college or skydiving after retirement. I truly believe that it’s never too late to make a change in your life. There are no excuses for not doing what you want, just the walls you build yourself.

After hearing about people’s regrets in life, I realized that I don’t want to be that way when I’m older. Which is why I’ve titled this article the way I did because the comfort zone is a dangerous place, not in the perspective that it’s necessarily bad, but in the sense that you can get trapped there with regrets. Many of these people got stuck in the lifestyle they were comfortable with, but if you’re happy in your bubble, then this article is not for you. I’m writing to those who wish to change their routine or lifestyle because they feel stuck or tired of it. I am one of those people who feel stuck in this routine life that is difficult to get out of. Getting out of the comfort zone is not easy, that’s why it’s called the comfort zone because that’s what you’re comfortable with. If you one of those people who wants to achieve more, get more out of life, then you definitely have to step outside that bubble. Take a risk or change something. It doesn’t have to be something huge like moving to another state or out of the country.

There are smaller changes that you can do to start that journey out of your bubble. You could start going to the gym if you’ve never been there before. Quit that job you hate and actually find something you like to do. Happiness is always a leading factor in becoming successful. Try a class that you have no idea about or are just interested in and gain knowledge. Travel around the country by yourself or with a friend. If you want to do something more drastic, move to a totally different area with a lifestyle you’re not used to. That’s what my family did when we moved from Boston to the countryside in a small place called Hull, Texas. It was a very drastic move and most definitely out of our comfort zones. Unfortunately, we didn’t like the lifestyle very much so we moved back here, but that doesn’t mean that it was a bad decision. We learned more about what we do and do not like. We only stayed a year, but in that year I learned a lot about not just myself and my family, but also about people living there. There are always new things you can learn everywhere.

If you’re in college, in some ways it’s a bit easier to move out of that comfort zone. First off, you’ve moved away from your parents which is definitely something difficult when you were used to having your parents do so much for you. Another thing is when you are joining clubs or sports, you actually chose what you want. For me, I’ve always wanted to go on a service trip, but I had always been kinda scared of going by myself. I’ve also realized that it’s okay to be scared because it just means you’re about to do something brave which makes you a stronger person. In perspective to being scared, in my junior year of college, I applied for the program and got accepted. I was a little hesitant at first, but then I told myself, “you know what? This is what I want to do. Just do it. Make it happen.” I raised the money and made it happen. I went on the trip with 11 other students and I have to say that it was the most life-changing experience ever! I didn’t just end up with 11 new friends, but also met such inspiring people in Detroit. You really never know who you’re going to meet and in what way they are going to change your life.

I didn’t wait until college to start getting out of my comfort zone, I started by going to a high school outside the neighborhood that I was used to. I was definitely nervous the first weeks or so because I barely knew anyone. Despite not knowing anyone, I definitely left that school with amazing friends and with the best graduating class I could’ve asked for. If I had stayed in my neighborhood, I bet that I wouldn’t have met such great people. That’s what I’m trying to say here, you never know what can happen in your life until you try to take that step out of your comfort zone. With just these three decisions out of my comfort zone making an impact in my life, imagine what many more can bring? This is just the beginning for me, I still have so much more to discover and do for me like travel the world which is my next challenge.

I’m just trying to tell you that there is so much out there to see and do with your life that we cannot afford to spend our short lives living and being stuck in the same places or routines. Honestly, if you want to do something, JUST F***ING DO IT!!!!! Everything you ever wanted is going to be out of your comfort zone. The more time you spend waiting on the right moment or when you have the time but get stuck just merely thinking about whether you should do it, the more time you are wasting. Stop thinking about it, and start making it happen because the clock is ticking. We only have ONE life to live so you might as well make the most of it. It’s time to make that leap out of your comfort zone to find your happiness and follow your dreams. There is no more time for excuses or regrets, just memories, stories and lessons learned.