College Freshman Survival Guide

College Freshman Survival Guide

Everything you need to know before you start your journey.

716
College Freshman Survival Guide

By now, most colleges around the country have moved their freshman in. If not yet, be warned; they're coming. No one likes to be the freshman, and you feel slightly too young and new to do anything important, yet there's a skip in your step simply from starting the next chapter in your young adult life.

College can be really simple, honestly. You could be taking the hardest major you could ever imagine, and still have fun. It doesn't matter the work load as long as you're happy waking up everyday at 7:00 am for class. I've put together a list of things I wish I knew freshman year, what I did learn, and what I hope prepares all those young kids out there for the first few weeks of classes.

1. Your looks are completely dismiss-able if you have an 8:00 am.

No one is looking. No one is fully awake. No one cares. That set of false lashes really isn't necessary.

2. White noise is your best study buddy.

You'll thank yourself later that you put together a killer homework vibe playlist.

3. Group study sessions can be successful.

If they're done right, they work pretty well. Choose a public spot, not too comfortable, maybe a shareable snack and BOOM- you aced your exam.

4. Leave your "baggage" at home.

A simple play on words that means so many things: boyfriends, your "old" friends, your fears, your concerns, your worries. Think of college as a new slate. A brand new iPhone. Be open to erasing the past and paving a new future.

5. Party smart.

Thirsty Thursday will catch up with you.

6. Invest in a good pair of rain boots / shoes.

If you walk your campus, you'll want some waterproof boots to save you from cold, soggy socks. Because wet socks are true evil.

7. Be open to meeting new people. Don't hang on to the people you meet welcome week.

You're going to find your friend group sooner or later. And they may or may not contain your freshman year lunch table.

8. BE INVOLVED.

Get on campus, volunteer, visit campus buildings, explore, talk, question; LIVE. You're there for 4 years. Don't wait for someone to tell you what to do. Go do it first.

9. DON'T BE TOO INVOLVED.

We all have that one friend that's pulled by every limb in a different direction. Take time to evaluate what you'd like to try. Once you try it, evaluate it again and determine if it's a good fit, or if you'd like to try something else. Do not get caught up in five organizations at once trying to balance everything.

10. Be a cool roommate.

Roommates are tough. Establish rules and respect. Not all roommates are bad. Hopefully you find yourself with a good friend and a roommate.

11. Don't eat too much cafeteria food.

It's not the gateway to the freshman 15, but it certainly isn't doing you any good.

12. Don't date. Don't get around. Stay right where you are.

It's so much easier to find out who you are without worrying about someone else. Be selfish this first year; It's all about you right now. Don't chase something that isn't there. Because plot twist; it's definitely not.

13. Call home.

Even if it's once every 2 weeks or so. Email if you have to. But they deserve to know how you're doing periodically in between all your experiences.

14. Cherish your unstained GPA.

It only gets worse from here. You can never return from once you came.

15. Stay active.

Run, walk, join an athletic club; stay active with your mind and body to relieve some of that normal college student stress.

16. Pick up good study habits.

Start now and they'll stay with you throughout your college career. Find a place that's special, like a coffeehouse or a secret study room. It's so much harder to learn how to study when you're a junior.

17. Always consider tutoring.

Do not put yourself above needing a tutor. Everyone needs a little extra push sometimes. It's OKAY.

18. Don't be too trusting.

Watch out for the players, liars and cheats. Be smarter than the game. It's sexy and admirable.

19. Share, rent, and search book prices. Ebooks save lives.

Seeing the total for your books for a single semester is enough to give any young person a McDonald's sized heart attack. Shop responsibly.

20. Enjoy and cherish every moment and memory made on your campus.

Everything you do becomes meaningful, and the memories will never leave you. Make sure they're memories you want to keep.