The City's Designer: Mundhir Ali

The City's Designer: Mundhir Ali

C.D. Smith Creativity Spotlight

82
The City's Designer: Mundhir Ali

Situated between the states of Kansas and Missouri sits a city by the name of Kansas City. This city, which has a population of approximately 467,007 (according to a 2013 census) is home to an immense amount of creatives. These visionaries range from artists, to actors, to fashion designers, singers and even writers. So many talents are manifested in this city, and because of that, recognition is long overdue. As a native of Kansas City, why not use my platform to do so?

In this week’s C.D. Smith Creative Spotlight, I had the opportunity to catch up with an amazing up and coming fashion designer. Mundhir Ali began designing at the age of nine. He started out drawing visuals as a pasttime and escape from life, not realizing that his past time would soon become a lifestyle. Today, Ali is working on his second collection and putting Kansas City on the map! Check out our discussion below:

C.D. Smith: I appreciate you again for your time. Thank you for being my first Kansas City feature for my Creativity Corner. I wanted to bring this idea home because I know it’s hard for a lot of us to get the shine we deserve being from Kansas City.

MALI: Thank you man, I’m glad I could help out and I appreciate the recognition.

C.D. Smith: Okay, so the first question is, who do you consider yourself to be?

MALI: I consider myself to be a creative being. Someone who wants to contribute to the evolution of culture and ultimately the design of the world. Thousands of years ago the world shifted, and I want to be a major part of the shift it takes in the coming years.

C.D. Smith: What inspires you?

MALI: I know it may sound cliché, but I grab inspiration from everywhere. Everyday things that people look at everyday inspire me. Kansas City has many muses to pull from. Especially with my next collection… it’s inspired by the Kauffman Music Hall which is something so out there.

C.D. Smith: Where do you pull your strength from?

MALI: The city. Growing up and realizing how overlooked we are, I just feel obligated to carry the city. I know there are a lot of people (peers, friends, business partners) trying to carry the city also, and I don’t want to let them down, the city down, and most importantly let myself down.

C.D. Smith: When did you start creating?

MALI: I began creating garments at 15 or 16. I just sat a sewing machine and my older sister showed me basic stitching. From there, I ran with it. I realized how much I enjoyed the relief it brought me in terms of getting my ideas out of my head and having that weight lifted off of me.

C.D. Smith: Why fashion? Why not any other form of art?

MALI: I enjoyed fashion the most out of everything I did growing up. I used to dance. At one point I even produced music. Being so young, I went through a lot of the arts. Once I started fashion, it was just something I genuinely enjoyed. Even when something stressed me [fashion wise], I found joy in it. Now, I just can’t not do it.

C.D. Smith: So, tell me about your previous collection… Collection 1.

MALI: I kind of just wanted to introduce myself. I paid more attention to the fit and design rather than the visual aspects of it. I wanted to present my aesthetic, which is more tailored to how the garment wraps around the human body. I look at garments as something more than a simple canvas. I look at garments as a feeling.

C.D. Smith: What is some advice you have for others trying to break into the industry?

MALI: Make your own mistakes. Things are inevitable. So all you can do is learn from it and keep going. YES! Ask for advice and educate yourself, but still be ready to make your own mistakes.

C.D. Smith: Good Stuff man! Definitely continue to put Kansas City on the map!

MALI: You too! Thank you again.

“Take your own path because waves end eventually. If you build yourself off of a wave, you’re going to fall with the wave. So carry your own wave, because then you decide when it begins and ends.”–MALI

Keep up with Mundhir via social media

Instagram: OfficialMundhirAli

Make sure to check out/purchase some of his pieces.

Shop: MaliGallery.com

Custom work: mundhirali@maligallery.com