Tupelo, MS: Straight Out Of A Storybook

Tupelo, MS: Straight Out Of A Storybook

Charm, culture, and the King

77
Tupelo, MS: Straight Out Of A Storybook
matadornetwork.com

When I moved from Wisconsin to Mississippi twelve years ago I was nervous. I had heard negative rumors about the South. I didn’t think anything could be better than the fast-paced lake front lifestyle that I grew up with in my small but quaint Wisconsin town. However, when I moved down south I was introduced to a wonderful place- Tupelo, Mississippi. Tupelo is a town that is loved by all who inhabit it and visited by tourists around the world. Despite moving away to college I still consider Tupelo to be my home and have found that there are new aspects to enjoy every time I go back for a visit. Whether you have lived in Tupelo all your life or are thinking about visiting here are the things I find most appealing about the city.

The Nature

Everywhere in Tupelo is close to some of the most beautiful forests and parks in the region. Northeast MS is home to several state parks and all of them are within driving distance of Tupelo. Between Trace State Park, Tishamingo State Park, Veterans Park, Ballard Park, and the Natchez Trace Parkway outdoor activities like camping, canoeing, biking, disk-golf and relaxing are only a short-drive from any point in Tupelo. A new outdoor adventure is always available.

The Entertainment

Nature isn't the only thing Tupelo has going on. There are always a number of concerts, festivals, shopping opportunities, and other activities to create some fun-filled days. I personally love seeing all of the local venders at the monthly flea market, attending concerts at the Bancorp South Arena, and especially attending the annual Fourth of July celebration at Ballard Park.

The Food

There is a sign on Highway 78 upon entering Tupelo that reads “Tupelo: Eat Well” and that says everything. Tupelo has more restaurants than I can name. A cheese-burger at the historic Johnnie’s Drive-In (Yes, Elvis ate here) is to die for. Pick any meal on any day and you can find a place in Tupelo that serves it to perfection. My personal favorite is the Fairpark Grill which, in my opinion, has the best steak skewers anywhere in the world. Speaking of something being the best around Tupelo is also home to the 2015 “Best Burger in America” - the “Smash” burger at local restaurant The Neon Pig. I may be biased but I don’t know how any burger could top this one. Ever. Tupelo is the place to go for good food.

Elvis Presley!

This is where all of the long-time residents of Tupelo collectively sigh. Tupelo is the proud home of the birthplace of Elvis Presley. For locals, seeing the birthplace of Elvis is just a drive to the local grocery store; however, people from all over the world come to Tupelo to experience “The Birthplace of America’s Music”. Because Elvis’ birthplace draws thousands of people every year to the city, Tupelo has done well to preserve much of the mid-1900’s history and culture. Tourists can visit Elvis’ birthplace and museum, the automobile museum and the heritage museum. Tourists can enjoy visiting Tupelo Hardware Store- where Elvis’ parents purchased him his first guitar. Take a stroll through Fairpark where Elvis performed in concert in 1956- just be sure to get a picture with his statue.

The People

The biggest rumor I heard about the South was that life moved more slowly here. That is absolutely true and in the best way possible. By far the best part about Tupelo is the people that live here! Residents still possess old-fashioned Southern Charm. A trip to the grocery store will likely turn into a reunion with your high school math teacher or the beginning of a new friendship upon sparking up a conversation with the cashier. People in Tupelo are genuine and kind. Tupelo still has the small town charm in that everyone knows everyone else, but it is big enough that an adventure is always right around the corner. The people make the city of Tupelo one of the best in the country.

Tupelo holds a special place in my heart. It is a city that holds old-time charm and modern-day adventures simultaneously. It wasn't until recently that I have realized just how much I love my city of Rock and Roll. In conclusion there is only one thing left to say…

Thank you. Thank you very much.