Be The Change You Want To See In Yourself

1955
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/11/12/636461275167577553-1536175679_636035028883258831-1817739021_odyssey5.jpg

Since I can remember, I've always struggled with body image. For 90% of girls, body struggles start around the age of 11 and continue for the rest of their lives. Instead of worrying about normal 11 year old things, they're worrying about shopping for the right clothes and how to impress people through their Instagram photos.

I tried my first diet when I was in 7th grade. I was 13. I heard about how dieting helps you lose weight and 'look better', so I wanted to see for myself. It didn't last for long at all, but ever since then - 'dieting' has just been a part of my life. The last 7 years have been filled with inconsistent diets, inconsistent weight and not even wanting to go shopping because the things that I wanted to fit me, didn't.

Throughout high school and now into college, the words you'll always never fail to hear while being around a group of girls are : "Does this make me look fat?", "Can you see my cellulite?", "Is this too tight on me?", and "UGH, I look so ugly."

Personally, I think 'diet' is a stupid word and I decided to get rid of it completely. Instead, I started to use 'eating healthy.' Not only is this a better term, but eating healthy CHANGED the way I lived my life.

It wasn't until this past summer of 2017 where I was able to get a hold of myself, my body image struggles, and realizing who and what really mattered to me.

If you're wanting to change your life, your body and help your body image issues, I have three pieces of advice for you:

1.Keep a positive outlook.

Getting down on yourself is easy. You’ll want to give up. You’ll want to quit and stop trying. When feeling like giving up, remember why you started. Remember why you chose to become a healthy version of yourself. Yes, giving up is easy; we’ve all been there. It’s important to be positive through the journey, and keeping this outlook will get you very far and help you closer to your goals.

2.Don’t rely on others to help you, but expect them to support you.

Yes, it’s okay to rely on others, but we have to be careful and not do it too often. People let us down, they don’t give us the answer we always want to hear, and they won’t always be there. It’s sad, but its reality and we have to accept it. Support is one of the best things you can let others give you. Support comes from friends, family and even random people who look up to you and what you’re doing.

3. Make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons.

While in the process to live a healthier lifestyle and transform your body, it’s easy to get lost in society’s ways. WHY did you decide to go through this journey? WHO are you doing it for? When doing so, make sure you’re doing it for the right reasons. Is it really for you, or is it to impress others? Be sure of yourself.

At the age of 20, I've finally accepted myself for who I am, what I look like and what I stand for. For so long, I tried to make myself fit the standards that only society wanted and it wasn't me. I was sick of living up to those standards.

I'm proud of who I am and the body I have and I don't need anyone to tell me otherwise.

If I had a piece of advice to give you:

If you're truly not happy with yourself; change it. Change IS possible and can be achieved.

But in the mean time, PLEASE accept yourself. Accept your flaws. Accept that extra fat you have on your stomach. Accept your cellulite, your stretch marks, and the blemishes on your face. Don't let society change you into someone you're not and accept yourself for who God created you to be.