The Buzzfeed Quiz That Made Me Question My Life

"There are other fish in the sea, but they are swimming as far away from you as possible"

258

“You got: You’re totally gonna die alone”. I stare at the results of my Buzzfeed quiz with a blank face. Panic sets in. Is this a sign? Could Buzzfeed actually know my future? Nah, it can’t. That’s impossible. It’s just a stupid computer generated quiz. Then my other Buzzfeed quizzes race through my mind. If Buzzfeed is just a stupid quiz, how could those other results be so accurate? Should I be worried? Are all those fish in the sea really “swimming as far away from me as they possibly can” like the quiz said? Great.

I find that a lot of my generation’s time, and my own, is spent worrying about the future and assuming the worst. What will my future job be? An armpit sniffer for different deodorant brands. Will anyone ever want to hire me? No, of course not. Where will I live? On the street. Then that one ominous question pops up. Will I be alone forever? Duh. Numerous Buzzfeed (and even some Facebook) quizzes, say I definitely will. The world is obviously dropping some hints.

My friends and I always wonder how someone is able to find their knight in shining armor. Sure, we go on dates here and there, but seeing picture-perfect Instagram couples and even couples around campus calls for late night girl talks where we question what in the world we are doing wrong. Are we too weird? Do we smell? Are we invisible? All of the above? The stress of finding “the one” has become such a pressuring and looming concept. However, this question does not deserve the amount of stress and tears that comes with it. In fact, the future in general does not deserve the menacing reputation it has somehow acquired.

We should not be thinking so far ahead. There is no need to rush through life. We should be living like every night is our last. It is okay if you haven’t found your soulmate yet. You are only this young once. This is the time to figure out who you are as an individual. One day you will find your other half, but for now it’s time to press pause on that search. Go on those late-night drives with your best friends. Stay up those extra two hours on a night you have early classes the next morning. Enjoy those nights you may not remember. Take some deep breaths and focus on the now because everything will fall into place. Have fun in the moment because you will never get it back.