The Bittersweet Return Home

Returning home after your first year of college is a bittersweet experience. There are a lot of great things about being home, but at the same time there were so many great things about being away at school. Most college kids can relate to these pros and cons about returning home for the summer.

Pro: You get to be home with your family.

After spending so much time away, it's nice to finally be able to sit and relax with your family, not just because you're home on holiday break.

Con: No one else is in summer mode.

While you may be done with finals and ready to kick back, your parents still have work and your siblings are still in school. A trip to the beach is at least a month away in their eyes.

Pro: You get to see all of your friends from home.

Yes we were home on holiday breaks, but it's been months since we've had the opportunity to spend more than a week hanging out with friends that we used to spend every day with.

Con: You don't get to see your friends from school.

If you're lucky, your friends from school live close enough that you can pay each other a summer visit. Unfortunately, some friends live so far away that saying goodbye at the end of the semester means you won't be seeing them until the fall.

Pro: FOOD!

Sure the dining halls may have been a fun experience at first, but after months of eating the same schedule of food, coming home to your favorite bagel, sushi and pizza place is a great feeling. On top of that, nothing beats the home cooked meals that you've been missing while you were away.

Con: Spending your money on food.

Swiping your school ID at the dining hall is a much better feeling than swiping your debit card at the ice cream shop for the fifth time since you've been home. The food at home may be great, but spending your money to go out and get it is not.

Pro: No school work.

Unless you enrolled in summer courses, finishing finals finally relieves you of the stress of school until you have to begin again in the fall. Unlike high school, there's no summer work or assigned readings so you finally have your chance to relax.

Con: Finding a job.

Sure you may not have school work, but now you have real work. If you want money to spend on food (or save if you're smart), you're going to find yourself in search of a summer job.

Pro: You have all of your stuff in one place.

Now that you're home you don't have to worry about asking your parents to mail that sweater you left at home. You're back in your bedroom with your entire closet and all of your belongings.

Con: Repacking.

Buying new decorations and storage containers may have been exciting heading into freshman year. But the thought of repacking everything you just brought home at the end of the summer is way less appealing.

Like I said, it's a very bittersweet feeling. Being away at college is exciting, but being home for the summer is just as exciting. It's important to enjoy yourself while your a way, but coming home gives you that feeling of nostalgia and reminds you of where you came from to get where you are now and to where you're going.