The Bittersweet Emotions Of Returning To School

It's all fun and games until you remember you have to actually get an education.

5
College Dilemma

It gets to that point every year as you prepare to return yet again to the college campus of which you now call home. An exciting time that you’ve waited for the entire summer- much like waiting around for Christmas or your birthday. It’s also probably hit the point where all you can do is sit around every single day and think about being reunited with your friends from school- and of no longer having anyone to answer to besides yourself. You’re pumped and excited to be back- because who wouldn’t want to return, but then there’s also the idea of having to return to the actual school part of it all. The part where you have to actually go to class and learn and then later on be tested on things of which you should’ve learned throughout the semester, only leading up to a week of pure hell where you go without sleep and live on nothing but coffee.

Don’t get me wrong- returning to school is the only thing I’ve been dreaming of since actually returning home for the summer. I mean, it’s nice being home and all and seeing family and the friends you’ve left behind when you left, but then there’s the actual pure joy of returning to college. The pure joy that also comes with the overbearing thought that you’re about to return to classes and study sessions and tests. You’re going to return to being stressed out and busy. But it all comes with the added bonus of how fun college actually is.

It’s bittersweet in many ways, as was leaving home for summer in the first place. Now you’re doing everything in reverse again. You have to go through the process of packing up and moving out of your home and then moving back into your home away from home (dorm), saying goodbyes again, and it all comes with the great realization that all the free time you had during the summer is about to be shot to hell with piles of homework and late nights studying things you probably won’t remember the next day. All with the added bonus of the fact that you’re actually going back to college. You actually get to reunite with all of your friends and be on your own and live your life the way you want to.

It’s almost as if the pros outway the cons- and when you think about it, we are technically in school to get an education in the first place- but the fun of actually being there, going out, having adventures, making a new life for yourself and meeting new people and making some of the best friends you will ever actually have in your life way overshadows the horrors that is studying. So in hindsight, maybe there are pros and cons of returning to school, but in my opinion the pros definitely outway the cons. Because who doesn’t go through a stage of grief and sadness after being away from your school for more than a month anyways?