The Bitter-Sweet Agony Of Being A GOT Fan

Because it hurts so good.

10
techinsider

After the Red Wedding, "Game of Thrones" fans thought we had seen it all. There could never be a heartbreak greater than the death of Robb Stark. Things just couldn't possibly get much worse - until they got so much worse.

Part of the thrill in watching this series comes from the "no one is safe" mentality and constant unpredictability. Each week viewers are on the edge of their seats waiting to see what twists and turns the plot will take and what effects they will have on our favorite characters. Warning: If you have not seen up to season 6, episode 5, tune out now! Spoilers ahead.

When Jon died and was brought back to life again, it instilled a sense of hope for GOT lovers alike - but should we fear this redemption? Understandably, the Lord Commander is not the same man he was pre-concrete slab. It will be interesting to see the how such a betrayal and an afterlife of "nothing" will affect his spirit moving forward.

I am growing increasingly more unsure and uncomfortable with all the good that has been happening for some, although long awaited. Sansa and Jon's reunion, Bran finally coming into his purpose, Arya Stark, excuse me, "a girl", gaining her sight back, Theon's homecoming, Daenerys setting the world on fire, all good stuff. It seems as if a few storylines are finally converging and we can start putting the pieces of one intense and intricate puzzle together. Maybe I'm a skeptic, but it all seems a little too perfect.

Ramsay has been in the back of our minds for quite some time now. He is such a scuzz and a sick pup that we have all come to hate his guts, but he serves such a central role in the story. We love to hate the new self-proclaimed "Warden of the North" and see what truly diabolical schemes he will come up with. He brings a dark appeal that we just can't rid of yet.

The Lannister's have indeed had a rough go of it. How they intend to punish those who have hurt them or find those who wish to "make our loses their gains" - in the words of Cersei - is exciting. We will just have to wait and see whose head will be crushed at the mercy of who we all know is The Mountain under that armor. I hope the High Sparrow is next on the list. (Admit it, you hate him too.)

I used to think that one day Bran would warg into one of or all of the dragons and burn the White Walker army and the world would be at peace, but it seems we are far from a resolution. The idea of prophecy is becoming ever more salient as these characters and storylines press on. And we as a fandom can do nothing but sit back and watch it all unfold week after week.

I think we're all looking forward to the Tormund-Brienne hookup, and are still reeling and utterly confused by the Hodor situation. We have to deal with time travel now, which is both really cool and daunting at the same time. I'm not sure if I'm ready for it.