The Best TV Shows Of 2013

The Best TV Shows Of 2013

4

Looking back, 2013 was the year of the series binge. Let us all take a moment to thank the TV gods for the creation of Netflix and Hulu, which have forever changed the way we watch TV. Over Christmas break I’m sure many of you sat in front of your TV and computer screens for countless hours watching your latest addiction. Here is my list of recommendations for the best TV shows of 2013 that are, oh, so binge-worthy.
1. Breaking Bad
Set in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Breaking Badis the story of Walter White (Bryan Cranston), who begins as a high school chemistry teacher diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. He then turns to a life of crime to secure his family’s financial future by making and selling methamphetamine. He teams up with a former student, Jesse Pinkman (Aaron Paul).
You must be living under a dark rock if you did not hear about the season's climactic finale. Breaking Bad has been nominated for Best Television Series at the Golden Globes and was named the highest rated TV series of all time by the Guinness World Records in 2013.
2. Scandal
When someone in Washington D.C. gets into trouble, there is only one person to call, Olivia Pope. Olivia is a professional “fixer” who gets rid of problems and spins bad situations into good ones. This political thriller is my latest addiction. Starring Kerry Washington, Scandal was created by Shonda Rhimes, who also created Grey’s Anatomy. The show focuses on a crisis management firm headed by Olivia Pope, as well as her associates and the staff of the White House. Spoiler alert! Olivia may or may not be having an affair with the President of the United States…
This series has conspiracy, love triangles and family drama. What more could you ask for? The show is currently in its third season and airs on ABC.
3. New Girl
Hey girl, whatcha doin? Probably watching New Girl. Who’s that girl? It’s Jess a.k.a. Zooey Deschanel. This lighthearted and hilarious show takes a modern look at friendship and romance as it follows five quirky friends in their somewhat awkward and hilariously misguided attempts to find their place in the world.
New Girlpremiered in 2011 and made serious headway this year in its third season. The main characters – Jess, Nick, Schmidt and Winston – all live in a downtown Los Angeles loft. Last year, New Girl was nominated for two Golden Globes including best actress in a TV series and five Emmys. If you like Friends, you will fall in love with New Girl.
4. American Horror Story
This year,
American Horror Story started its third season on FX. If you are looking for a source of insomnia, look no further. Each season of American Horror Story has the same actresses and actors, but has a different (and equally creepy) storyline. The first season follows the story of a family that moves into a house that is haunted by its former tenants. The second season takes place in the 1960s in an asylum for the criminally insane. The third season, currently on FX, follows the battle between witches and voodoo practitioners.
While some portions of the show are slightly disturbing, an IMDB critic wrote, “You have got to love this weird, haunted freak show,” and I agree.
5. The Americans
Named one of the best new series of 2013 by Buzzfeed,
The Americans is a truly unique TV series from AMC. It is set during the Cold War in the 1980s. It is the story of Elizabeth and Philip Jennings who are Soviet KGB officers posing as a typical American couple in Washington, D.C.
According to the New York Times, former CIA agent Joseph Weisberg created and writes the show.
6.Orange is the New Black
This Netflix original series made its debut in 2013. The series revolves around Piper Chapman, who was an engaged woman living in New York City until she is sentenced to a women’s federal prison. The story follows the experiences of Piper and the other inmates during their time in prison. This series was also named one of the best new series of 2013 by Buzzfeed.