The Best Present Is His Presence

The Best Present Is His Presence

Focusing on our spiritual relationship this Christmas.

323
The Best Present Is His Presence

As soon as Thanksgiving is over, it instantly becomes the busiest time of the year. Stores, interstates, social media, grandma’s kitchen- it all becomes crowded. Not to mention overwhelming. The “holidays” becomes a time that many people absolutely dread. The sad thing, is that all of this extra stress, the dreaded shopping, the decorations, and the added exhaustion is all unnecessary. None of it is required to celebrate Christmas.

We get so caught up in hosting the perfect Christmas. Making the best dinner anyone has ever tasted. Purchasing a surprise gift for your significant other or spouse. Wearing the right outfit. Sending out the most memorable Christmas card.

Why???

Why has this become the norm to celebrate Christmas? How often do we stop in our tracks, in between the moments of trips to and from the store, and truly think about the meaning of Christmas? How many times have you stopped to think about it? To soak it in and meditate on the gift that has been given to us?

Please don’t think that I’m a scrooge. I absolutely love Christmas. The Hallmark movies, the decorations, the trees and lights, the yummy food, and the time spent with my family. I am all for it, but most of the time these are the things I focus on the most. I get wrapped up (no pun intended) in looking forward to the perfect white Christmas with food and presents included, when in return I should be focusing on the best present that has ever been given to me, and to you.

Jesus’ birth. Have you thought about the magnitude of His presence? Have you thought about what a remarkable gift that is? The manger scene is not just another thing to decorate with in your house. It is the reason that we celebrate December 25th.

God sent His one and only son to earth, for US. Knowing that we would mess up. Knowing that we would make mistakes. Knowing that we would blow Christmas way out of proportion. Knowing that we would go through our day to day lives sometimes failing to recognize the importance of this gift. Selflessly, graciously, and lovingly, we were still given the greatest gift of all.

As Christmas comes this year, as we go through our typical holiday routines, as you eat the ham, mash potatoes, noodles, pie, and cookies, and as you finish up your last minute shopping, as well as stress way to much about what to wear to grandmas, remember this one thing-

Christmas only happens once a year. It comes and it goes. You blink, and it’s over. But God’s gift, sending His son to earth for us, that is eternal. That is why this one day is set aside to celebrate Jesus’ birth. The greatest present is found in His presence.

I challenge you to enjoy Christmas with purpose this year. Set aside some quiet time before your head hits the pillow at night, to think about the amazing grace we have been given. We shouldn’t just be excited for Christmas day, but for every day of life that we have been given because we have been sent a Savior! We have been forgiven time and time again and covered in so much grace. He was brought to this earth, He died for our sins, He rose again, and He carries us through this crazy ride called life.

Merry Christmas friends! Be intentional about how you spend Christmas day. God Bless!