The Best Parts About Still Having Your Childhood Friends In Your 20s

Because how could you really survive without them?

185
Kelsie Doran

It is fun to go out, meet new people, and make new friends. However, I am also glad that while I am in my 20s that I still have my childhood friends who I met before I could even talk and one that I met in first grade. Having a friend that has been with you through your entire life is a neat thing in itself that not everyone gets to experience, so to my childhood friends that are still by my side — here's to you — all the reasons why our friendship is awesome.

1. They know everything about you (and I mean everything).

It's great, you don't have to censor yourself around them because they know your history and your past. You don't have to explain your obsession with Vampires or what song you hate or why you're afraid to go to a certain restaurant because they have either experienced it with you or you told them about it right after it happened. When you call them up you don't have to explain much of a backstory, you can just jump right into what you need to say because they are up to date on all your business (whether you like it or not). They know everything you like, what makes you tick, what you find hilarious and all your secrets.

2. Their family is basically your family and vice versa.

Their parents have seen you grown up, their siblings treat you like just another sibling, and you've experienced all the family drama as if you were an actual family member. It's like having a second family built in. Also your parents treat your friend like their own child as well. You both feel comfortable enough to walk into each other's houses like it's your own home, heck sometimes you go over their even when your friend isn't home just to play with their dog or have a nap while their mom cooks you food. And when you talk about your crazy Aunt or your cousin who just got married your friends know exactly who they are so you can gossip about it together.

3. It's so much fun growing up together.

As a kid you had playdates and made up games with your own rules. In middle school you tried to avoid the mean girls, went through the awkward stage of braces and glasses together, and didn't know what to think of boys. In high school you went to your first party together, told each other about your first kisses, worried both of your parents sick and even though you had dates to prom you were so excited to see each other there as well. In college you may have gone to different schools but you see each other on the weekends and act like nothing has changed. You still have playdates and play by your own rules the only difference is that you're both allowed to drink now.

4. They keep it real with you.

Your friend has seen you through it all - the bad, the good, and the ugly - so they don't worry about hurting your feelings, they tell you the truth. So if you are seeing a guy they don't think is good for you, or need help picking out a new outfit or don't know what to do with your life in general they will always give you their honest opinion. You guys have been friends for too long for them to let you do anything stupid (unless of course you tell them that you really want to). Because in that case they'll wish you luck, let you do it, and will be there for you when it's over.

5. You've made it this far, so you know you'll be stuck with each other for life.

Even if you guys don't talk every day, you know that they will always be your friend. If you need them to come pick you up at 2 AM or go with you to a fancy, boring event they'll do it and you would do anything for them as well. They are more your sibling than a friend at this point and you can't wait to see them get married, have kids, what career they will choose and who they'll become. Childhood friends are the ones you have for life.