Seven Reasons Why Your High School Best Friends Are For Life

Times may change, but close friends stay the same.

14283

We all go through groups of best friends multiple times through out life. You have that group of girls you don't even remember in elementary school, the sixteen different best friends you had in middle school, the group of friends you had in high school, and then the close friends you made in college.

Yes, the friends you make in college will most likely be for life, but the friends from high school are guaranteed to last forever.

1. You guys spent every day with each other for four years straight.

There's really no way to get closer than this. If you do the calculations, school was from about 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., five days a week, for four years. That is 7,280 hours that you've spent with these people, plus all of the sporting events, weekend get-togethers, and everything else you did together (which was basically everything).

2. They've seen you look your worst, and they've seen you at your best.

No one knows what the 7 a.m.-straight-outta-bed-version of you looks like better than your high school friends. They've seen you come to school on rainy Mondays when you want nothing to do with the world, but they've also seen you at your best for homecomings, proms, and those many nights out.

3. You basically grew up with them.

Although you didn't actually grow up in diapers together, ages 14 through 19 are a crucial part of life. This is where we find ourselves, mess up, develop our personalities, and discover friendships that will last a lifetime. Whether you realized it or not, your high school friends helped to shape you into the person that you are today.

4. These are the people that you made mistakes with.

When you're in tenth grade, you don't always make the smartest choices. Your friends from high school were right by your side to make those choices with you. You guys made them together, learned from them together, and then looked back to laugh on them together.

5. Even after college, these friends will still be there.

No matter how far away you go for college, you will always come home. You all live at home within a close proximity of each other. That's the beauty of high school friends. High school reunions during college breaks are always the best and make you feel the most at home. Nothing says winter break more than catching up with all of your friends from high school.

And the best part is that things are always still the same. College flies by so quickly, and by the time you know it, it's senior year and you still stay in touch with your high school crew. That is eight years you guys have been friends, and you know what they say; the friendships that last more than seven years last a lifetime.

6. You have a countless amount of inside jokes.

How can you not? I mean, after all, you spent around 8,000 hours with these people. Inside jokes from high school are the best because they will never get old. Eight years can go by, and you will still remember the joke from freshman year in high school, and it will still be as funny as it was when it first happened.

7. Overall, you guys are like a family.

These people will always be there for you. When you call any of them at any time, they'll be there to listen, a shoulder to cry on, to make you laugh, or to reminisce on those old high school memories. College friends are great to have, and are bound to last forever as well, but high school friends are the ones you grew up with. They are the ones that watched you cry in third period, walked you to the nurse when you had a broken ankle, or laughed at you as you messed up your monologue in Drama class.

We are all at different times of our lives, working towards different futures, but somehow still manage to stay the same when we're together. For that, I am forever grateful for my high school friends.