The Best of 2016 Pop-Culture

The Best of 2016 Pop-Culture

Who had the best album, the best movie, and even the best meme of 2016? Check it out here!

14
The Best of 2016 Pop-Culture

Pop the champagne! The year is finally coming to a close. Without a doubt, 2016 has been a year for the books (for better or for worse). With the election, countless movie and album releases, and way more memes than ever before, 2016 has proved itself to us as a year to remember. As it slowly comes to an end, I've started to review the best of the best that 2016 has given pop culture. Check out my top picks for best album, movie, song, Broadway musical, book, tweet, photograph, character, meme, TV show, and person of 2016.

Album

Lemonade - Beyonce

In my opinion, this category was the hardest to pick. From Kanye West, Frank Ocean, The Lumineers, Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, Bon Iver, to Paul Simon, 2016 has been an incredible year in music. But, to me, one stands out among them all, and that's Beyonce's album Lemonade. Queen Bey completely nailed Lemonade by not only recording 12 incredible songs for the album but also including an hour-long film as well, making her story come to life in both mediums. Lemonade is furiously bold, wonderfully crafted, and an overall incredible story. Beyonce can truly do no wrong.

Movie

Moana

`

Moana is a 3D, animated movie by Disney about Moana, a strong-willed daughter of the chief of her Polynesian tribe. The story starts at the beginning of time when there was only ocean. Te Feti, an ocean goddess, used her heart of power (a small pounamu stone) to create life and raise islands. The heart was stolen by demigod Maui, who planned to give it to humanity as a gift. But, when he stole it, their island was enveloped in darkness, and he eventually lost the stolen heart somewhere in the ocean. Moana is chosen by the ocean to reunite Te Feti with her heart with Maui and recreate life on the islands. This heartfelt story of adventure told by a strong female character and transformed with the music of Lin-Manuel Miranda is one to remember.

Song

Kayne West, Ultra Light Beam

While Kanye has surprised the world this year with his questionable (yet sometimes amusing) decisions, he released an incredible album in 2016 called Life of Pablo. But one song stands out from them all; Ultra Light Beam. Listening to this song is truly a spiritual experience. The song features Chance the Rapper, Kirk Franklin, Kelly Price, and The-Dream, making the song an iconic mix of artists who all add something fresh to the song, which is what truly makes it great. The song is about faith, love, and hope, and also acts as a confession or an atonement. Ultra Light Beam mixes rap and gospel music to make a beautiful piece of art, something that is iconic for the rap scene.

Boadway Musical

Waitress

Waitress the musical was written for the stage by Sara Bareilles and based off of the original movie. The story centers around Jenna, a waitress with an expertise in baking pies. She feels stuck in a small town and a failing marriage. When she unexpectedly gets pregnant, she loses hope of opening her own pie shop, until she meets her handsome new doctor who offers her hope. The musical was crafted by musical mastermind Sara Bareilles, perfected by actress and actor Jessie Mueller and Drew Gehling, and loved by all who indulge.

Book

The Girls - Emma Cline

The Girls follows a cult much like the Manson family. The book goes back and forth between time periods and follows main character Evie between the 1960s in Northern California and present day. In the present day, Evie is housesitting for a young man and women who remind her of her past in the cults. The book opens up the conversation for female Manson family followers and is a great representation of life in a dangerous cult for women.

Tweet

Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders, a former democratic presidential candidate, completely destroyed Donald Trump with two simple words that shocked the world. There is no doubt that this is one of the sickest burns of the 2016 election, and of 2016 as a whole. I believe Bernie Sanders deserves props for this one, which is exactly why this tweet receives the best tweet of 2016.

Photograph

Michael Nicholas - National Geographic

Photograph by Michael Nicholas, originally published in National Geographics "Learning to Let the Wild be Wild in Yellowstone" in May 2016.

In this gorgeous photo, Michael Nicholas captures Yellowstone from above. The colors make the photo look like a painting, while in reality, this is the beautiful world we live in.

Character

Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Out of all of the new characters introduced into 2016 pop culture, this character was without a doubt the best. Rey, the lead in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is a scavenger who was left behind on the planet of Jakku as a child. She then becomes involved with the Resistance when she meets BB-8, a droid that belonged to a pilot named Poe. Rey is without a doubt the best character of 2016 because she changed the meaning of what it means to be a hero. She is a strong-willed, clever, brave, and (keyword) female. In a franchise such as Star Wars that has historically had few strong female leads, Rey carries the entire movie as an independent woman. Rey showed us what it means to be a hero.

Meme

Joe Biden

While Joe Biden may have been somewhat of a meme for his entire 8 years in office, over the past few months he has become a bigger meme than ever before. From his blessings behind Obama at his speech after the results of the election were revealed to discovering a quarter on the ground in Burlington Vermont, the Joe Biden meme has made everyone laugh at least once in 2016 with its wit and purity as a meme. I would like to thank the Joe Biden memes for getting us through this election with a little bit of a laugh, and declare Joe Biden as the best (and most wholesome) meme of 2016.

TV Show

This Is Us

This is Us follows Jack and Rebecca, who just moved to Pittsburg and are struggling with the idea of having kids. Kevin, a successful actor, struggles with his identity and how his lifestyle affects who he is. Kate, an obese and successful woman wrestles with her insecurities. Randall, who was abandoned at a fire station the day he was born, tries to understand where he came from. Somehow, many of these people share the same birthday. The comedy-drama series is an incredible outlook on what it truly means to be a family. This show stands out because of its outstanding ability to feel real as the lives of the main characters cross in unique ways.

Person

Hillary Clinton...

Hillary Clinton, 2016 presidential runner-up, showed us all what it truly means to fight for your rights. Hillary stood her ground throughout the election as a role model for young women and men everywhere. Hillary fought for people who couldn't fight, who didn't have a voice, and for people who were silenced. Hillary showed the world what it means to be a fearless, courageous, and powerful woman. From pantsuit nation to the millions of supporters she is still receiving even after her loss, Hillary showed everyone in 2016 that she will never stop fighting for what she believes in, and neither should we.

& Lin-Manuel Miranda

Nonetheless, I truly couldn't pick just one influential person of 2016, so I chose two instead. Lin is undoubtedly one of the most brilliant writers and musicians of this generation, who inspired and educated a huge audience about American history. His genius Broadway musical Hamilton has been one of the most influential and responsive shows- ever. By casting African-American, Hispanic, and immigrant actors and actress, he showed the world that America was built by a wide variety of people. Lin has also been an activist, a witty comedian, and an overall incredible human being who has inspired anyone who knows his work.