The Bests And Worsts of 2016

The Bests And Worsts of 2016

The successes and failures of 2016's pop culture.

41
The Bests And Worsts of 2016

Another year has gone by, meaning another year of memes, fashion trends, music, movies and more have taken over their previous competitors. When selecting the best and worst of 2016 pop culture, it is nearly impossible to make a list that satisfies everyone's separate opinions. However, this list was made with a little help from friends, popular vote, and the highest rankings for each category. On the contrary, the worst of each category was selected to counteract the best in order to keep pop culture humble. Here are the bests and the worsts of 2016's pop culture.

Television Shows

Best:

"Stranger Things"

This Netflix original has taken over television watchers nationwide. The thrilling show follows the disappearance of a 12-year-old boy. Throughout the quest to find him, several extraordinary mysteries arise pertaining to secret government experiments. The first season is dangerous if you have other priorities and can definitely be the leading cause of procrastination if you're not careful!

"The Bachelor(ette)"

Some may disagree with this one, however, the early 2016 season of "The Bachelor," starring Ben Higgins, was one of the most intriguing, genuine, and iconic seasons the show has had. When the final two lucky ladies were selected, Ben made the terrible mistake of saying the Lword to both girls, leaving him baffled on who to present the final rose to. After a heartbreaking end for JoJo, there was an infinite amount of confusion, hatred, admiration, and everything in between for the bachelor and his decision. It didn't end incredibly badly for JoJo though; she ended up starring as the next Bachelorette and finding the love of her life, Jordan Rodgers. Thank goodness for Ben's confusing decisions!

Worst:

"Fuller House"

There was an incredible amount of hype for the return of the Tanner family. The first episode was a huge let down for me personally, and many others according to the Hollywood Reporter. The punchlines were considered flaccid, there were over-eager callbacks and bloated nostalgia. Not to mention, it was quite obvious the shame the actors were giving to the Olsen twins for their lack of appearance on the show. Many of us had higher expectations for the return of our childhood favorite, but unfortunately the execution was below par.

"Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders"

Let me start out by saying that any spin off of "Criminal Minds" is a horrible idea solely because the original "Criminal Minds" exceeded the expectations of all and increased everyone's standards for crime shows. Second of all, any crime show without the iconic Derek Morgan is not a crime show. Beyond the poor execution, "Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders" put an emphasis on international paranoia, which is definitely not something to be emphasized in the Donald Trump era.

Songs

Best:

"One Dance" by Drake

If you can listen to this song by Drake without dancing, I don't think you are human. Drake had one of his most successful years, with the release of his album "Views." The album is the rapper's fourth studio album and won BET Hip Hop Award for Album of the Year.

"Broccoli" by D.R.A.M. (feat. Lil Yachty)

What astounds me about the hit song "Broccoli" by rappers, D.R.A.M. and Lil Yachty, is the variation of generations it became popular within. For me personally, I can't go anywhere on the weekend on my college campus without hearing this song at least five times in one night. When I came home for winter break, I was surprised to hear my middle school sister and my father singing the song. Way to go D.R.A.M., you've reached all generations whether you intended to or not!

Worst:

"Closer" by The Chainsmokers (feat. Halsey)

This selection might be slightly biased, however, "Closer" by the Chainsmokers has become, without a doubt, the most overplayed song of 2016. Without the overkill, it has the potential to be a decent song. However, it has become one of the most cliche and basic songs ever to be played. Gosh darn The Chainsmokers for making it so catchy though!

"Me Too" by Meghan Trainor

I truly apologize to all of the die-hard Meghan Trainor fans out there, but your girl needs to take a step back. I can recall 2015's best and worst lists and she also made an appearance in the "worst" category. This song is cringeworthy, and she comes off very self-absorbed as opposed to her intended "confidence." Please don't put those words in my mouth, I'm fine being myself.

Sports Plays

Best:

Chicago Cubs - World Series Champions

Again, this one might be a bit biased, however the Chicago Cubs world series win over the Cleveland Indians was a well-deserved and highly respected outcome. The last time the Cubs had a world series win was in 1908, meaning the "curse" was broken this year and all Cubs fans (me) could sleep with a huge weight lifted off of our shoulders. Nonetheless, hats off to the Indians for an incredible world series!

Cleveland Cavaliers - NBA Finals Champions

Cleveland had a great year for sports, including the Cavaliers NBA win over Golden State Warriors. I can remember watching Game 7 and LeBron James' block on Andre Iguodala. As Golden State thought they would gain a two-point lead on the Cavs, LeBron's block on Iguodala's dunk was one of the most successful and biggest blocks of his entire career.

Worst:

Steph Curry's Behind-the-Back Pass Failed Attempt

I cannot tell you how many memes I have seen made of Steph Curry's failed attempt at a behind-the-back pass during the NBA finals against the Cavs. Along with this pass, the whole "Warriors Blew a 3-1 lead" has made quite the impression on social media and pop culture this year.

Cam Newton's "Business Call" During the Superbowl

Many NFL fans nationwide were speechless after Cam Newton's actions after fumbling the ball during the 2016 Superbowl. Not only did Newton refuse to dive for the loose ball after his own fumble, but he actually jumped back when two Broncos players dove for it themselves. Many Carolina Panthers fans were upset at Newton's lack of a reaction to his fumble, but his actions were not the sole cause of their fall to the Denver Broncos.

Movies

Best:

"Rogue One: A Star Wars Story"

This hit movie has already made millions of money and almost 99 percent of our population has seen it within the short amount of time that it has been released. The film included hints of play-offs from the "Star Wars: A New Hope," which Disney did an incredible job at correlating.

"Arrival"

This sci-fi is one that you never knew you'd find so dang intriguing. The alien invasion thriller builds a plot of how humans would realistically react to an extraterrestrial invasion, rather than some over-the-top, completely cliche hypothetical reaction. This one is definitely on the top of the recommendations list.

Worst:

"Warcraft"

Besides the cast looking completely lost and out of it, this movie that is based on an internet role-playing game was filled with moderately impressive special effects. However, those special effects do not count for anything when the characters are so two-dimensional and the script is almost entirely exposition.

"Zoolander 2"

I have no explanation for this movie.

Celebrity Couples

Best:

Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds

These two beautiful human beings had their second baby, Ines, this year. After taking a break from the media for family time with their daughters James and Ines, the entire family made an appearance and looked near-perfect. The "Gossip Girl" star and her "Deadpool" star husband sure made a beautiful family!

Worst:

Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna

This couple is a recipe for disaster. Not even a month after their child was born, the two had an ugly split and Blac took their baby. They are now going to couples counseling in hopes of saving their relationship. Let us hope that they get their relationship straightened out for the sake of their baby.

Dance Moves

Best:

The "Dab"

Appropriate for any occasion, the Dab has taken over every generation, city, state, and country.

Worst:

The "Whip"

This can end any time.

Memes

Best:

Any Harambe meme

Harambe, you will be missed.

Worst:

Any Pepe meme

Somehow these Pepe memes always turn out offensive or rude.