Best Advice I Ever Received From My Parents

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great

342
http://www.lifebyaniya.com/the-homeless-project/

If there is one thing I can say about my parents it would be that they give the absolute best advice. In my preteen years, of course, I fought with them on many of their lectures, but as I got older I began to really appreciate how much they truly cared about me and my well-being. We seemed to have covered it all -- boys, high school drama, college choices, jobs, boys, big decisions, career pathways, moving out, and did I mention boys?

I know for a fact I could write a whole book on all the late night talks and opinionated guidance they have given me, but I also know something else. It would be a best seller. You see, my parents have supported me whether they agreed or not, poured all they know from experience into me so I may not make the same mistakes, and lead me even when I was as stubborn as a pack mule. They truly are a blessing.

We all have pieces of our parents that we will always hold near and dear and, for me, my piece is their endless reminders to maintain a humble persona and a spirit of humility. No they do not encourage me to demean my self-worth or downgrade what I do just so I don’t offend anyone, but simply allow whatever accomplishment or achievement I have obtained to be spoke about by others not myself.

A few weeks ago at YMCA summer camp (where I work), the kids were asked different questions to see how much they knew about us councilors. The question given to them about me was, “Who is the journalist/writer?” referring to my writing position with the Odyssey Online, and they were completely stumped, as were some of my co-workers!

At first, I was a little disheartened because I write weekly, hoping to acquire more readers, but then I realized that’s how it should be. We should never boast in ourselves in such a way that others feel incompetent or insufficient. Everyone’s success is different and everyone’s definition of success is different. Some success takes years to fulfill while others only a few months; some requires a lot of preparation and time management while others might be spare of the moment deal; and, for some, success may be the bare necessities while others demand luxury.

That being said we must remain humble enough to know we aren’t better than anyone else, but wise enough to know we are just different from one another. True humility is staying teachable regardless of how much you already know. We must be so confident in who we are and where we are going for ourselves that we never seek public approval, acceptance or a pat on the back for anything and, moreover, we must avoid comparing who we are or where we are going to others because everyone is on a different path.

While having this conversation with my dad, I began to realize how much of what he was saying reminded me of Christ. You see, we all have talents, abilities and special features we may be called to dwell in, and we talk about them like it was all our doing. Without the calling of God upon our life, His blessings of ability and abundance and the gifts we are given by Him alone we would be a vegetable to this world.

We are not called to become proud in what we do, but boast in the God who favored us enough to bless us in such ways. “Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted” Matthew 23:12. We must come to the realization that Christ was the epitome of perfection, yet He was born in a barn, swaddled in a manger and grew up in the home of a traditional carpenter. He knew the overall plan of His heavenly father and where He would one day rein superior over all nations, but yet He showed the utmost humility and bore the same if not more of a gruesome torture as the thieves hanging to His left and right. He laid everything down at our destinies feet, and gave the highest price for our redemption.

When we boast in ourselves we will quickly become humbled by someone or something, but if we are humble in stance already someone else or our accomplishment will speak loudly for itself. If we die before Christ and rid ourselves of all pride, self-adornment, glorification and fixed applauds He will lift us up for such sacrifices.

What can we take from the ultimate act of humbleness and humility shown by Christ? Value others before yourself, show mercy to those who have done you wrong, and forgive them just as you have been forgiven. Be a servant, no one is in too high of a position to give back.

When I was seven-years-old my family and I went with my dad on a business trip. I remember walking the street like it was yesterday and not understanding why there were men and women sitting on the side of the road with dirty clothes and faces. Finally, my parents explained that they were homeless and immediately my heart shattered and my eyes became glossy. I then asked for ten $1 bills from my dad, and as we walked I sat a dollar in front of every person I saw sitting. I didn't see these men and women as poor or below me, but broken and in need of my help which was slim to none being I was so young and only had a few dollars. God doesn't always call us to help change the entire make up of a individual's life, but maybe just their heart. That was my first experience as a child that I recall being broken for someone else, and we should hold tight to the child like faith that we can change someone with just a small act of kindness.

Love even when it is not given in return. Act justly to all you come into contact with no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, gender or moral spectrum. Sometimes, just a glimpse of God’s unfailing attributes through you is enough to change a whole perspective and in turn a whole life. How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. “When pride comes, then comes shame; but with the humble is wisdom. The integrity of the upright will guide them, but the perversity of the unfaithful will destroy them” Proverbs 11:2-3.