The Bands Of Your Emo Kid Phase

The Bands Of Your Emo Kid Phase

Life is but a dream for the dead and here were the songs that helped us through it all.

141
The Bands Of Your Emo Kid Phase
My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Okay

Dear Diary,

Mood: Apathetic

To put simply, I too, had an emo kid phase. My angsty preteen years set the stage for my even angstier teenage years, raccoon eyeliner, studded belts and super edgy Myspace profile. I have to say though, that when I was a young boy, these songs are filled with some of the most beautiful music that I listen to still to this day. During this time, as it was for many of us who were part of the dark side, this music, and more importantly, these bands became a part of our lives. The songs of my youth are filled with emotion, passion, sadness and such a fire to continue on when everything in the world looked dismal...well as dismal and depressing a 13-year-old's life could be. Without further ado and in no particular order, "We'll carry on, we'll carry on!"

1. Evanescence

Amy Lee's haunting vocals packed a punch in our hearts, with songs such as "Bring Me to Life" and "Going Under," only furthered our search for the light in the darkness. Not only was Evanescence's music magical, but Amy Lee singing "Sally's Song" was one of the more memorable moments I have from the "Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtrack.

2. 30 Seconds To Mars

Jared Leto, has certainly created a career for himself besides being a part of this band, but the lyrics he belted out in songs like "The Kill" became an anthem for us knowing who we really are.

"I know now, this is who I really am inside.

Finally found myself fighting for a chance.

I know now, this is who I really am."

3. Marilyn Manson

Whenever I felt down, outcasted, and like a freak it was never for long as I always reminded myself that I was better than these so called "Beautiful People."

4. Avenged Sevenfold

We all wanted that "Little Piece of Heaven" ... or did we? Actually probably not, but A7X gave us the power chords to get us through the days that followed.

"I gotta make up for what I've done

'Cause I was all up in a piece of heaven

While you burned in hell, no peace forever"

5. Three Days Grace

From seeing this band in concert, I must say it was once of the most amazing experiences ever, especially belting out the words I wanted to say to everyone usually, "I hate everything about you!"

6. Paramore

From all my crushes, to the "Misery Business," Hayley Williams busted out choruses that helped get all our vengeance out.

"She's got it out for me, but I wear the biggest smile!"

7. Panic! At The Disco

To this day, I don't think there isn't a person that I know who doesn't question why they never closed the dang door, but P!ATD sure gave us all the guy liner fix that we needed.

8. Fall Out Boy

As the world saw us as the weirdos, all we had to say "Am I more than you bargained for yet?" From relationships to the demons in our souls, FOB's soul eased our own.

"The best part of 'Believe' is the 'Lie"

9. Bullet For My Valentine

One of the most pivotal bands to listen to when you're done with the world and only see the darkness as an option. I remember cranking out BFMV every day after classes, as my own person way of telling the world that they'll never get to me!

10. Linkin Park

Some of the most electrified songs I've ever heard, spoke to my core on the limits we were always pushed to, to the moments when we were about to break.

"I tried so hard and got so far

But in the end, It doesn't even matter"

11. Papa Roach

Another band I was so graciously able to see live, Papa Roach knew how to remind us of our own "scars."

"I tear my heart open, I sew myself shut, my weakness is that I care too much

And my scars remind me that the past is real, I tear my heart open just to feel"

12. Breaking Benjamin

While I do not speak for all of us, many at least, always looked for our own places in "The Diary of Jane," of even just a new place for our hearts to heal.

13. Seether

The haunting tones of songs like "Broken" it makes you seriously wonder about how so much bad can happen in the world, but maybe one day we can all work to a better tomorrow...one day.

"Cause I'm broken when I'm open and I don't feel like I am strong enough

'Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome and I don't feel right when you're gone away"

14. Sixx A.M.

From the real life trials and tribulations of Nikki Sixx, with the success of his journal entries "The Heroine Diaries" came the album that literally saved my life. If it wasn't for the message that there truly is a light at the end of the tunnel, I wouldn't be the same person as I am today, and especially after seeing them in concert, I certainly can say that life truly is beautiful.

15. Good Charlotte

Through all the heart break, I still will sing "I never want to be in love, I never want to be in love!"

"Feel the beat now, if you've got nothing left

Say: 'I don't wanna be in love, I don't wanna be in love!"

16. Escape the Fate

Whether you were a Ronnie fan, or like the new singer, you can't hide the fact that the second you heard the intake of breath and sound and heard, "Situations are irrelevant now!" you couldn't help but to belt it out too.

17. Coheed and Cambria

This band was another that filled our dark rooms with hope in better days to come, to hopefully be welcomed home.

"With love and devotion, I'll die as you sleep

But if you could just write me out to neverless wonder... happy will I become"

18. Green Day

The punk gods gave the world a creation like no other, as their music as still stood against the ages as some of the most perfect jams to listen to when thinking about how much you can't stand those who walk around you, those idiots. That guy liner though.

19. Shinedown

Not only was I also able to see this band in concert, but they gave a voice to the madness in us all, especially when no one else understood just how far gone we are.

"Another lose cannon gone bi-polar, slipped down, couldn't get much lower

Quicksand's got no sense of humor, I'm still laughing like hell"

20. My Chemical Romance

The epitome of many people's emo years; the angst, passion, and raw emotion MCR carried throughout their entire existence (RIP) rang true to everyone. There still isn't a day that goes by that I don't listen to MCR, and when I hear the first few piano notes I can't help but reclaim my rightful place in "The Black Parade." In every album they made, in each new look, and throughout every change MCR gave me the courage, the heart, and the home to find myself, and is the number one reason why I'm still very much an emo kid at heart.

As the years have passed, my eyeliner lightened, my music choices expanded, and my outlook on life growing brighter, I will always belt out these tunes with all the passion in my heart, because I can truly tell you, "I'm not OK (I promise!)"