Vanessa And Nick: Built To Last Or Doomed To Fail?

A look back at the season 21 finale of "The Bachelor" that aired Monday night.

5
Elite Static

Every Monday night, 9.24 million viewers tune in to watch ABC's "The Bachelor." And on Monday, March 6, that number nearly doubled as everyone cleared their schedule to make sure they caught final episode of season 21. This season featured Nick Viall (see below), a Milwaukee native who's all too familiar with how "The Bachelor" and its affiliated show, "Bachelor in Paradise," work.

For those who aren't familiar with "The Bachelor," it's a TV show that has 25 girls vying against each other for the chance to win the love of the designated bachelor. This setup easily creates drama that lures in males and females alike to watch every week as, one-by-one, girls get eliminated.

After just six weeks, which was stretched out to about 10 weeks broadcasting, Nick narrowed down his pick of the litter to three girls, Raven (top), a 25-year-old fashion boutique owner from Arkansas, Rachel, a 31-year-old attorney from Texas (middle), and Vanessa (bottom), a 29-year-old special education teacher from Quebec, Canada.

Vanessa seemed to be a crowd favorite among many for her sweet nature and kind smile, but Raven had been a bit of a dark horse throughout the whole show, while Rachel sort of filled in the spaces between each girl. All three had their own special connection with Nick.

Vanessa and Nick shared a passion for each other that avid "The Bachelor" fans recognized immediately as engagement material. But while many would argue that he seemed more smitten with Vanessa, many others argued that Vanessa was "needy" or "high-strung," on account of her no-nonsense approach to Nick's so-called "immature," angsty, and physical-based relationship with a contestant who was eliminated in the final four round, Corrine Olympios (see below). Vanessa even threatened to leave the show after being upset by Nick's interactions with Corrine. However, she stayed, undoubtedly because of the strong connection she and Nick had.

There had been much talk about Rachel, but for a different reason than the other girls. A few weeks ago, it was announced that Rachel would be the new bachelorette for the follow-up season premiering in April--before she was even eliminated from the show! While Nick seemed to be drawn to Rachel's cheerful persona, and the two got along harmoniously, as was pointed out by many, but apparently there wasn't enough there for her to make it to the final round. In second to last episode, we saw her leave the show.

Meanwhile, Raven's relationship with Nick had been quiet, yet thriving. There may not have been as bright of sparks flying between Raven and Nick as there were between Vanessa and Nick, but what Vanessa lacked in fun, Raven made up for. Raven and Nick seemed to have a more playful, easy relationship. The 10 year age gap between the two could have something to do with this, but Raven claimed she was ready to fall in love for good, get married, and start a family.

Before the final episode aired, it was hard for me to say who Nick would pick. For once, this season of "The Bachelor" was a real toss-up; usually, it's more obvious who the said bachelor will pick, but if there's one thing "The Bachelor" does best, it's give incredible surprises to the viewers.

However, the popular vote ended up being right and Nick chose Vanessa, giving her a teary-eyed proposal in the final episode, which she accepted. The two seem happy together, and without a doubt look good together, but knowing Nick's past of unlucky relationships, will this engagement turn into marriage, or will he end up alone?