The Art Of The DJ

The Art Of The DJ

Having the ability to line up a solid soundtrack is a skill everyone should have.

27
The Art Of The DJ
http://audioordeal.blogspot.com/2016/03/what-to-do-before-your-first-gig.html

Having the ability to line up a solid soundtrack is a skill everyone should have. It’s like being able to change a tire or mix a nice drink. But the art of Dj-ing is something that you don't see a lot of anymore. I have noticed that there is quite a few people out there who claim to be playing "fire" while blaring Waka Flocka Flame. Don't get me wrong, Waka is hype, but I'm not trying to hear “50K” while I'm playing cards with the roommates. Put on some Rolling Stones and step away from the aux. This article will give you some tips on becoming a better DJ and, thus, a better person overall.

There are a few key things to remember if you are entrusted with being the DJ, the first of which I already touched on — context. It is always important to recognize who you are with, what you are doing and what vibe you want the music to project. If done correctly, you can change the mood of everyone within earshot and be the hero of any function, but you can also be the villain. If the crowd you are with is trying to party bring out the Rap and EDM. If you are doing some front porch sitting, Rock’n’Roll and certain Country music is a must. If you are with your grandma going to church, bust out the Frank Sinatra. As the DJ, you are a man of the people, so you have to give the people what they want.

The next step in becoming a master DJ is always having a go-to song ready for any situation. I see it all the time where the room is silent and everyone is waiting for some music to play when some rookie walks up to the aux and plays the first song he sees on Spotify’s Party playlist. A random Fetty Wap song comes on and everyone rolls their eyes and takes a long drink from their cup to make it through the pain. Don't be that guy. A real DJ walks up to the speaker and plays his go-to song and queue’s up some bangers from there. Picking this song is something that should not be taken lightly because there is a lot of criteria that this particular song must meet. The song must be relevant, uplifting, popular — but not too popular — and, most importantly, it has to bump. Right now, my go-to song is “Money Trees” by (King) Kendrick Lamar, and before that it was “Excuse Me” by A$AP Rocky. If for some reason you don't have the right song picked or don't know what to play, just pick any song by Drake and you will be solid.

Being DJ means you are in control of all vibes in the room. When given this responsibility, you are in a fly or die situation — you have one goal: do not kill that vibe. This means you need to know how each song flows and what feeling it evokes. It is OK to change up the music, but you have to make it flow if you want it to work. The most underrated detail of DJ-ing is how you arrange your songs. That second of silence in between songs has to be your happy place, that moment of anticipation is your art. If the previous song was a smooth melodic track, you don't follow it with a trap banger that will blow everyone's ears out. You have to work your way to that by building up the mood of the space. This also means that you have to finish every song you play. No jumping songs halfway through the chorus — that’s Busch League, and we don't have time for it.

Music can make or break any situation, and having a good DJ for the situation is a rare thing nowadays. Whether it’s going on a road trip or pre-gaming for a party, the right soundtrack is always an essential. So it’s imperative that you don't blow your moment. Always remember to think about what environment you are in and what music would be best for this moment. Keep in mind the flows of the song and what mood the song will project. Never kill the vibe and if you need it always have a go-to song for any occasion. These are the pro-tips for becoming a good DJ and always remember — there is a song for every situation, all you have to do is pick the right one.