The Art Of People Watching

The Art Of People Watching

You know we all do it.

210
The Art Of People Watching
Google Images

peo·ple-watch·ing:

the action or practice of spending time idly observing people in a public place.

Throughout my short 18 (almost 19) years of life, I have started to notice and observe the people and environments around me. Sitting down at a restaurant, walking around the mall, or maybe even at a concert, you’re bound to be surrounded by all types of different, possibly strange people. And when you’re in a busy place it’s easy to sit back, relax, and observe the plethora of people around you.

It’s okay to admit that you do it, too! It’s hard not to look at people with their kids running around the mall and when there is a crazy drunk man dancing at the concert everyone is looking at him as well (some people even join in and dance with him). Once I was just sitting in my car at a gas station and I looked in my rear view mirror and this man was smelling his armpit. People are just strange. And it seems that everywhere you go you tend to see the same kind of people.

When you look around, there could be the crazy cat lady, with her sunglasses on inside, most likely wearing patterns that don’t match whatsoever and a huge key chain of her cat hanging from her neck. She can talk to anyone about anything and is always whispering to herself. A prime example of a classic stereotype that never disappoints. Then there is the devil child. Watching this kid for even a minute is the best form of birth control. This kid is screaming and throwing the temper tantrum of all temper tantrums - it’s just scary to even look at.

Then there is the PDA couple (public displays of affection), which is hard to deal with. Like, don’t touch each other in a public place like that. They’re just too cozy and love-ey for my taste. I mean what you do on your own time is cool, but don’t do it where others can see. That’s just gross.

One suggestion: don't stare at people in a way that makes you look so creepy. People watching is just a weird way of saying that you like to look at the people around you. For example, when you’re at school or you’re out at a party, some people stand away from the dance floor area because they’re looking at all the overly drunk people in the middle. That is just their style; they people watch. Or when you’re out with your friends for dinner and the one friend that always stares into space... or so you thought. Nope, they’re a people watcher. And I just want to say it’s not a bad thing. Being observant and seeing your surroundings is good! I mean who doesn’t love to talk about the nuts people around you?

So the art of people watching is to sit down in a busy area with your friends, look at the people around you, laugh about it, and have a good time.