The Art Of Overcoming Anxiety

The Art Of Overcoming Anxiety

The key to overcoming anxiety is trusting in God.

12
Sunrise in rural Jacksonville.
Personal Photo

Anxiety is a difficult difficult topic to write about. I have struggled with anxiety off and on for years. It's tough, especially in moments where it seems as though you're not in control.

In the next few articles, I will discuss what anxiety is, as well as talk about five different aspects of anxiety I have struggled with: fear of the future, fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of not being in control, and fear of the unknown.

In this article, we will look at what anxiety is, why we struggle with it, and how we can overcome it.

Anxiety is a feeling of worry or unease. Fear is what drives anxiety. We have so many fears that drive us and make us anxious. One of the biggest fears I've faced, especially since being a part of youth ministry, is this sense of feeling of not being a good enough example or mentor to the youth under my wing. This feeling especially creeps in when I hear of one of them slipping up or getting into something they shouldn't.

Statistics say that 18.1% of folks aged 18 or older in the United States suffer from anxiety, making it the most common mental illness in the country. Only 36.9% of those who suffer from anxiety seek treatment. Anxiety can lead to a whole host of problems, including difficulty sleeping, difficulty in focusing on things other than the present anxiety, and hyperventilation, which if you have asthma like I do, could lead to an asthma attack.

With all this in mind, how in the world can we overcome anxiety? The simple answer: there’s zero way in the world we can overcome anxiety on our own. The only way we can overcome the anxiety in our life is through Jesus.

One passage of scripture that comes to mind about anxiety is James 1:2-3, which says, “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness (ESV).” What this passage tells us is that the trials we face, the things that cause us anxiety, are meant to strengthen our faith in Christ. They’re meant to bring us to a realization that we have to rely on God.

We are told numerous times in the Bible, “Do not be anxious.” These words come from Jesus’s mouth in Matthew 6:25a, when He says, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life (ESV).” If Jesus specifically tells us not to be afraid, we should take note not to be afraid.

One final passage of scripture that we will focus on more in depth in a future article is Philippians 4:6-7, which says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but I’m everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus (ESV).” Boy, does this passage give me so much comfort in times of anxiety. While we’ll get into that and unpack it a little more in the future, we see that we can have peace in times of anxiety by making those requests known to God.

1 Peter 5:7 says, “Cast all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you (ESV, except this version says casting instead of cast, as it is a continuation of verse 6).” These two verses together scream to us the need to give our anxiety to God when it hits. This is the ultimate key to overcoming anxiety.

Over the next few articles, we will get into some deep conversations and topics. It is my prayer that you would let my stories of how I have faced these anxieties help you in whatever you’re anxious about.