The Anxiety of Public Speaking

The Anxiety of Public Speaking

Terrifying, maybe. Possible, absolutely.
36

Hands sweating. Heart pumping out of your chest. Legs shaking. Stomach churning.

All of these are examples of what happens when you are absolutely terrified of speaking in front of your class full of people you barely know or don't know at all.

I set my phone on the podium with a timer set for four minutes- can't go over that time limit. I set up my PowerPoint presentation on the board in order for some of the attention to be taken off of me. I look up after trying to get myself to stop shaking and get my heart rate back down to a normal. My professor looks at me and says "Ready when you are!"

Here we go. Here goes nothing! I practiced last night. I know what I'm talking about it. It's easy. Pretend that you are talking to family. Share your story. Heck, no one's listening to you anyways because they're either asleep or worrying about their own speech.

Deep breath. "Hi everyone, my name is Elizabeth Finto. I'm a sophomore here at UMW and I'm originally from Richmond, Virginia." Okay, slow down, take another deep breath and start talking about your family.

I look around the room and see my friends smiling at me. Hey! I'm not shaking anymore.

Four minutes pass, and I'm done! What a relief!

Although I am absolutely terrified of public speaking, I know it is something that will take me very far in life. I mean, I am a communications and digital studies major. I better know how to communicate. In my career, I will have to give speeches or write articles, etc.

I enjoy speaking about what I am passionate about. It is just something about twenty-four pairs of eyes staring at you that makes it seem like climbing Mt. Everest.

Public speaking is a class that everyone should take in high school or college. You will use it in any career you choose. Whether it be talking on the phone for hours a day or being the manager of a company. It is like learning the alphabet or understanding how to solve math problems. Sometimes it is difficult, but something you have to know how to do.

This is not to say that public speaking is easy for everyone. Absolutely not. Some can give a speech without a problem, and others would rather do anything else. I fall under the category of wishing I could just write a paper, and that count as a speech.

You have a voice, use it whether to voice political opinions or how a situation makes you feel.