The Act Of Giving

The Act Of Giving

It's more than just a donation.

1128
The Act Of Giving
google

Growing up, I was always told that giving is more important that receiving. Giving back to the community, friends and others in need is such a great act of kindness and charity. However, I have realized that many people have misconceptions on the idea of giving back. Many assume giving back strictly involves giving away money in some way. Although you can give to others in ways such as a charitable donation, you can also give back in many different ways.

1. Time

One way of giving back to the community and people is by volunteering your time. Volunteering is such a rewarding experience because you are not just simply giving an organization money, you are actively working to help benefit the people and can feel yourself making a difference, even if it is only a small one. Although many of us have very busy schedules, it's nice to stop and take a break sometimes and use the little free time we have to help others.

2. Kindness

Another way of giving back involves acts of kindness. Little acts of kindness can go a long way and can truly have a big impact on a person's life. Simple things, such as paying for the person behind you at Dunks (for us New Englanders) or even buying the homeless man on the corner a sandwich, it's the little things that make a big difference in a person's life. That simple act can truly bring the happiness they could have been lacking in their life.

3. Support

In addition to time and kindness, you can also give back through love and support. For example, you can emotionally be there for a person through the struggles they might be going through or even agree to sit alongside them in church because they need encouragement to go. You can also support those in events such as Relay for Life where love and strength are what the survivors need to continue to fight.

Giving back is such an easy thing to do, and it really demonstrates the selflessness and character of individuals. Helping others is a great act, and often times, people get too caught up in their lives to realize how simple giving back can actually be. Giving back is not always on a large scale but also on a very small and individual scale. Like Albert Einstein once said, "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."