The 'ABC's Of College Advice

The 'ABC's Of College Advice

A catchy way to be and do your best in college

141
The 'ABC's Of College Advice
www.dreamstime.com

Ah, there’s nothing like a new semester of school. New books, new classes, new memories, you get the idea. However, those things cover only a small fraction of what new semesters in college bring. So, to make sort of a game out of this, I have composed the ‘ABC’s of everything that a new college semester brings.

A: Absentminded Students
After a few weeks’ time away from your college or university, when students finally come back to start classes, it takes them a while to get back into the swing of things. Don’t worry, its normal for everyone-just try not to let your foggy mind get in the way of your schooling for too long, otherwise how will you ever get the other ‘A’ in your new college semester?

B: Books Bound In Gold
With every class in the new semester, there are usually a great number of new books. And I will be the first to tell you, good people- those books do NOT come cheap. However, you can usually get the ISBN numbers for your books, type it in on Amazon, Chegg, etc., and get the same book for a much cheaper price than what most bookstores sell them for.

C: Crybaby City
Perhaps, on the first day of classes, you may feel a little overwhelmed by a class or two, or even all of them, and feel the need to let some tears fall. That’s OK. You can do this! It may be overwhelming at first, but you’ve got this, I promise.

D: Don’t Want A ‘D’
Yes, a ‘D’ is a passing grade. But it’s not exactly a desirable passing grade, nor does it look very good on your record. So, if you can help it, at least try to keep your grades at at least a C.

E: Energy Boosts er’day
College drains your energy, and drains it fast. So do whatever it is that you do to keep yourself pepped, pumped, and ready to tackle the next hour long assignment.

F: F-O-O-D!!!
Forget the freshmen 15! If you want to eat all the delicious foods that your campus dining facilities have to offer (but hopefully not all in one sitting), feel free to do so. EAT THE FOODS!

G: Go To Class
How do you expect to actually pass a class if you don’t even bother to attend it? I know-it can be tempting to just stay in bed and sleep in, but if you make an effort to show up to class, you’ll be much better off in the long run.

H: Homework; a student’s best friend?
College classes give out a LOT of homework-I can tell you that from my experiences at Lindsey Wilson. But, as tiring as all of your take-home assignments can be, they actually di help your grade and your understanding of class material. So, just do the frickin’ work, kid.

I: Isolation Station
For me, I work better when I can be by myself in peace and quiet-it helps me focus and do a better job on my assignments. Some are not like that- they would much rather do their homework with a group of friends. However, when you’re doing work with your buddies, be sure that you are actually doing your work.

J: Just Do Your Best:
Listen, I know that furthering your education can be super stressful at times, and I know that we all get overwhelmed. But my advice is to simply hold on and do your best in all you do. Because, really, that’s all we CAN do.

K: Know Your Way
It’s important to know your way around campus in order to find your classes, dormitory, dining center etc. It’s also important to know your away around the city or town of which your college/university is located. Make an effort to do so.

L: Lose The Negativity
It never fails-anytime you try to do something amazing with your life, such as attend college to make something of yourself, there’s always going to be someone or something who will use negative energy to try and bring you down. DON’T LET THEM WIN. Surround yourself with positive encouragement during your college career and beyond and you’ll be just fine.

M: Make The Most Of It All
Don’t let your college years go to waste! Be sure to live each day to the fullest during this time, because, as corny as it sounds, it goes by faster than you think.

N: New Friends
Be sure to actually get to know people during this new semester of college! Not only will they become lifelong friends, they can also be potential connections that you can rely on to help you get to where you always wanted to be in your career.

O: Optimism is KEY!
Keep a positive attitude, even on your most difficult days! It helps!

P: Procrastination=Poop
If you have something to do, make an effort to see to it that its actually done on time. The old “why do it today when you can do it tomorrow” motto doesn’t really work once you start college.

Q: Quiet Observations
The quieter you are in class, the easier it is for yourself and others to learn and understand what is being taught in the lecture. Coming from someone who likes quiet and order in a classroom, when a professor is speaking, please, for the love of all things beautiful, kindly shut your trap.

R: Resting is Learning
It’s hard to get an adequate amount of sleep and rest in college, but studies show that the more sleep that a person gets, the better they do in class, on homework, and anything that they do in their everyday lives.

S: Share Your Knowledge
No, I am NOT encouraging you to cheat or help someone cheat (seriously, don’t….you can get thrown out of school for that), but I am advising you to help a friend or classmate with materials in class that they may not understand, an example being allowing them to copy your notes or look over them if they missed something in the lecture. Help someone out and be a friend. :).

T: Time Management
If you know that you have a test to take on Wednesday morning, and you wait until 10 minutes before time for it to begin before you even crack open your notebook, you are only hurting yourself and are making a very stupid mistake. Manage your time wisely, it’s very important to do so.

U: Universal Gatherings
People from all over the country and world, as well as people with all kinds of cultures, backgrounds, and ethnicities, will be attending the same university/college as you. In today’s time, as sad as it is, it can be a difficult thing to do, but show respect to everyone, whether they’re different from you or not.

V: Vast Amount Of Classes
If you are undecided on a major, my advice to you would be to take a series of classes to see which ones you like best/feel is your calling. Also, be sure to add some different ones as electives too! College is full of cool classes that a person would be crazy not to take.

W: Wisdom Beats Pressure
If you feel yourself being pressured to do the wrong thing in college, maybe because you are away from your own comfort zone and are feeling especially vulnerable, remember to use your best judgement and make wise choices in any decision that comes your way.

X: E”x”ample To Others
In your hometown, no matter how far or close your college/university may be to it, you still have younger people looking up to you. Be sure that your actions during your college years gives them an example to go by when they reach that point in their lives.

Y: Yelp for Help
If you need help in class, don’t be afraid to ask for it, for heavens sake! That’s what the professors are there for; to help their students!

Z: ‘Zip’ Through the Bad Days
Even the worst of days only lasts 24 hours! Never give up or get yourself down, just because of one crappy days!

Being a college sophomore, I can remember how hard it was as a freshman at LWC, and I am very much familiar with the challenges that college brings; I still battle most of them every day myself. I hope that my “ABC” list of college advice helps you not only in this semester, but in all of your college years.