The 7 Best Dressed First Ladies In American History

First Ladies = fashion icons.

1161
Boston Globe

The life of a First Lady is tough. They are always in the spotlight so they must always have poise and elegance, as well as being dressed perfectly for every occasion. Sounds hard? They also have to go to meetings, work on projects, and be supportive to their husbands who are running an entire country. Yeah, these women are amazing. While they all are dressed well, some rise above the rest. They bring their own style to what they wear while maintaining the grace a First Lady needs. By now everyone knows that Nancy Reagan died, but not many know that she was a well-dressed First Lady. Even I didn’t know until I did some research. The First Lady knew how to dress, and so did many other First Ladies in their day.

Jacqueline Kennedy

She is the queen of fashion and so much more. Her style is perfectly timeless and chic, and she is always on point. Even when relaxing with her family, she is dressed elegantly. She takes the simplest of pieces and makes them look fabulously chic. Jackie is forever my number one fashion icon.

Michelle Obama

The modern day First Lady muse. Her style rivals Jackie’s but she has a modern twist. Always classy and the colors she chooses look amazing on her. And can we talk about how great her arms are? No wonder she wears sleeveless items so often!

Nancy Reagan

Nancy’s time as First Lady was during the eighties. This was a rough time for fashion. But Nancy reigned through this decade with such grace. Her style was always flawless, and she even managed to make shoulder pads work. Well, kind of. But were shoulder pads ever a good idea?

Mary Todd Lincoln

Mary’s stint in the White House was a traumatic one. She had to deal with her children and husband dying before her and had to raise the rest of her family. She was a strong woman and had great style. Mary’s style was elegant gowns, because that’s what women could wear at the time. Her dresses are amazing though. I’ve seen some in person and they are the most beautiful dresses ever. She was also very small so her dresses are so dainty and elegant.

Grace Coolidge

This First Lady was in the limelight in a great age of fashion: the twenties. Grace took the style of this decade and used it to her advantage. Her jeweled frocks were the height of fashion and her athletic frame was ideal for the flapper dress of the time.

Betty Ford

Betty’s style was another classic look. She used clean lines and shapes to make timeless looks. One thing I am fond of is the scarves she would wear. Her style is on the modest side but she doesn’t sacrifice style for modesty.

Rosalynn Carter

The Carters are great and Rosalynn’s style is even better. Her style evolves with the changing times but she still manages to look exactly as she should. Just look at her thirty years ago and then today and her style fits right in.