The 7 Best Broadway Shows To See In New York

Other than Hamilton

61
The Phoenicia Voice Festival

One of New York's defining characteristics is Broadway, home to some of the best theatrical shows in the world. Many tourists come to the city solely to see some of those plays. It definitely has helped to shape New York's unique culture and the amazing experience of visiting the city. Nowadays, the Broadway musical that everyone wants to see is Lin-Manuel Miranda's Hamilton; in fact every performance of the hit is sold out until the summer of 2017. But fear not! The stupendous thing about Broadway is that there is a show for everyone for all occasions. Here are ten of my favorite plays that are wonderful alternatives to Hamilton.

1. The Phantom of The Opera

This Andrew Lloyd Webber creation has since become synonymous with Broadway itself. It's the epitome of the perfect New York play: a heartbreaking love story, captivating music, spectacular sets and special effects and great acting. All of these elements combine to create a sparkling spectacle, the likes of which we can only dream about. As Broadway's longest running show, seeing it performed has become part of the New York experience; I firmly believe that this play will never close.

2. Kinky Boots

The defining characteristic of this wonderfully heartfelt comedy is its message: be yourself and you will find people who will accept you. I feel that that idea is incredibly undervalued in our society and we all should express it more. With exhilarating music by Cyndi Lauper, this play narrates the story of a dead-end shoe factory that comes back to life as a manufacturer of glamorous boots for drag-queen dancers. The choreography combined with the upbeat music makes you want to jump out of your seat and join in the fun. By the end, you are literally dancing in the aisles! You leave the theater feeling very happy and hopeful for a more accepting future environment. It certainly is a show not to be missed.

3. Jersey Boys

In this fantastic true story, the audience witnesses the extraordinary career of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, one of the most famous Rock and Roll groups of the 1960s. I first saw this show eight years ago; before then, I had never heard of Frankie Valli or his music. He became my new favorite music artist by the end of the performance. It does an incredible job of telling the story of how The Four Seasons became the legends that they are today while showcasing all of their famous songs as well as many other hits from the 1950s and 1960s. Everyone can enjoy this show, regardless of whether you know the music. I would attend this show again any time.

4. School Of Rock

Speaking of Rock and Roll, this show is another must-see if you love that kind of music. It is based on the hit movie "School of Rock" directed by Richard Linklater, a hilarious story of a down-on-his-luck guitarist who recruits a class of fifth-graders into his rock band. With original songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber, it's a guaranteed get-happy hit. The child-actors are incredibly talented musicians; they play their own instruments in the show with great expertise. The main actor, a newcomer, has so much energy and volume that he resembles the Energizer Bunny. The only thing is that it's extraordinarily loud; so do not go if you have sensitive ears. Apart from that, I had a wonderful time at this show and I think a lot of other people would as well.

5. Cats

The memory lives again with the latest revival of this Broadway favorite. I saw this show on its opening night of previews and absolutely fell in love with it. Although it is utterly moronic and lacking in any plot or structure, it has a trippy aspect that makes it very captivating. It's a pure spectacle that dazzles your eyes. Incredible T.S Eliot poetry set to Andrew Lloyd Webber, the sparkling costumes and dancing all make this show worthwhile seeing any day of the week.

6. The Color Purple

This is a really great show if you are looking to see extraordinary acting and hear magnificent voices. The main actress, Cynthia Erivo, won the Best Actress Tony Award for her performance. While I was not the biggest fan of the truly wrenching story or the loud music, I truly enjoyed watching the actors and actresses pour their hearts and souls into the show. I am not too sure if I would see this play again, but I might go just to hear the epic singing voices again.

7. Sense & Sensibility

This Off-broadway adaptation of Jane Austen's classic novel is a real comedic treat with a lot of heart. It is set in a small and intimate Bedlam style theater where the action is in the center of a small room and the audience sits in a circle. All of the props are moved about on wheels and the actors do an amazing job at combining wit with the uptight society of early nineteenth century England. It was originally set to run for three months but it has been extended twice and will likely be extended again. I would recommend this show to everyone, regardless if you are a Jane Austen fan or not.