The 2018 NHL Playoffs: 3 Teams Making An Unexpected Run For The Cup

The NHL Playoffs have begun, and 3 unlikely teams are closing in on the cup.

358
Vegas Golden Knights

The NHL Playoffs have been well underway as we are now in the conference finals. Now normally, we would be watching teams such as the Blackhawks, Penguins, Predators, Bruins, Kings, etc. But, this year we get to watch a few new faces battle it out for the cup. In their first year as a franchise, The Vegas Golden Knights have shocked the hockey world with their unexpected run in the playoffs that does not seem to be stopping any time soon. Facing off against the Knights, are the Winnipeg Jets who have also hit a new milestone this year by making it to their first ever conference finals. Meanwhile in the East, The Tampa Bay Lightning are facing off against a Washington Capitals team no one really expected to make it this far.

At the beginning of the season, I looked at this Vegas team and did not think they would have the talent to make the playoffs. But now I look back and eat my words as this team has absolutely shocked the hockey world by setting all these records for wins, and making it to the playoffs their first season of existence. Led by the star power of Jonathan Marchessault, William Karlsson, and Reilly Smith with legendary goalie Marc-Andre Fleury protecting the net, this team has been red hot. With tonight’s 4-2 victory over the Jets, the Golden Knights now have a 2-1 lead. I truly believe this team has what it takes the cup, but we shall see if the jets have an answer for them in game 4.

After being moved back from Atlanta in 2011, The Winnipeg Jets have not gotten very far in the playoffs let alone make them in recent years. But just like the Vegas Golden Knights, this certainly seems to be their year as they have made it to the western conference finals for the first time as a hockey franchise. This may be their first ever conference finals, but they way they have been playing makes it seem like they have been here before. Led by their big fearless defensemen who can toss around a player in each hand, Dustin Byfuglien, Blake Wheeler, Patrick Laine, Mark Scheifele, and their net minder Connor Hellebuyck, the Jets have been flying high throughout the playoffs despite the game 3 loss. The Jets currently find themselves down 2-1 in the series against Vegas but I believe they definitely have the potential to bounce back and retake the series.

The Washington Capitals have always been a strong team led by their fierce captain Alexander Ovechkin. For many seasons, their biggest issue has been getting through the second round of the playoffs. However, much like Vegas and Winnipeg, this also seems to be their year for success. After surviving a close first round against Columbus, the Caps stunned the Penguins by defeating them in the 2nd round to advance to the conference finals. The caps started out hot by beating Tampa Bay 4-2 in game 1 and then 6-2 in game 2 but find themselves only having a 1 game lead after a 4-2 loss in game 3. Tampa Bay’s star player Steven Stamkos believes this victory has no doubt gotten his team back on track and now feel like they are beginning to put more pressure. Can the Caps maintain their series lead? Or will they blow their lead and end their miraculous run? I guess it is fair to say that only time will tell.

These 3 teams have come so far but the journey is not over yet until that cup is raised. And the big question still remains, who is gonna take the cup? Will it be the brand new Vegas Golden Knights? The high flying Winnipeg Jets? Or will it be the second round curse breaking Washington Capitals? Regardless of who it is, I think fans all over the NHL including myself are looking forward to see what happens next.