Thanksgiving: The Beginning of Consumerism Craze

This Thanksgiving, see how the consumer in people might overshadow the holiday of thanks.

139

It's finally that time of year- gathering around the kitchen table with family and friends with a spread of food to feed a small army laid out before you. The smell of a cooking turkey wafts into the air, mixed with the sounds of clinking glasses and bursts of laughter with the occasional snippet of conversation.

But as each year goes by, there seems to be a new aspect of Thanksgiving that increases annually: the Black Friday deals. It used to start early Friday morning, then it became late Thanksgiving night, to now, weeks in advance and counting.

American consumerism is no new concept. People will always desire, always want. But the sheer irony of the biggest shopping day of the year falling the very next day (and now the same day) as the holiday set aside for being thankful and grateful for the things given to you seems almost like a joke.

Everyone has their own beliefs and their own traditions, but Thanksgiving is a national holiday that not only celebrates the country's history, but has become a symbol spending time with family and friends, and taking the time out of one day to enjoy the people in your life. But now, instead of gathering around a table this Thanksgiving, many will be gathered outside storefronts, eager to burst in at the right time to snag up whatever deal that is being offered. Gadgets, toys, clothes; everything is on sale.

But do we really need everything?

Yes, retailers take advantage of the holiday season and Christmas coming up in a few short months, but is getting a few bucks off a TV really worth missing the one day to spend with your friends and family?

Feeding into consumerism is not only hurting your own wallet, but it might potentially be damaging relationships as well.

And if sales are a huge deal to you, there are alternatives to Black Friday. Take advantage of Cyber Monday, Small Business Saturday, or just look for general holiday sales, because I assure you they are out there.

So I urge you, this Thanksgiving, be there. Be there around the kitchen table with your annoying cousins or your too loud aunt. Be there when the turkey is cut. Be there when your siblings get into a fight at the table about something stupid. Be there to smile and talk and spend time with the people who come together once a year for a few hours. Just be there.

And I hope everyone has a happy and healthy Thanksgiving!