Thanksgiving May Be Over, But I'm Still Thankful

There's no time like today to be thankful.

15
Gracie Dougherty

As Thanksgiving passes and Christmas peeks its holly and jolly head around the corner, I can't help but think about everything I am thankful for, especially this holiday season.

While I am always especially thankful during this time of the year, I've realized that in the past few months, I've been more thankful than ever. There is really no specific reason for my extra thankfulness, it really is just because I have realized how great my life is.

Thanksgiving may have been a few weeks ago, but I am still finding myself more and more thankful and grateful for all the wonderful things in my life. Although Thanksgiving is known as THE time to be thankful, I think it's equally important to be just as thankful every other day of the year.

This whole year, I've realized how lucky I am to be truly surrounded by such great people and things.

I have learned to surround myself with people who make me feel good, happy, and positive. It hasn't always been this way, so I am especially thankful for the people around me. My family, my boyfriend, my friends, my pets, my coworkers, my peers. I am thankful for them every single day as each and every one of the special people in my life have encouraged me, supported me, motivated me, and, most of all, loved me.

I am beyond thankful for my education. I have always loved my school, but this year especially, I have realized how truly amazing my education and my institution is. I have really blossomed this year at Florida Gulf Coast University and I am so very grateful for all of the opportunities I've been given. As I think of my next few years at FGCU, I am so thankful to be able to attend this school. And, of course, I am so thankful that my parents have given me the chance to thrive here.

Along with many, many more things that I am thankful for this whole year, I am just thankful for life. I am thankful that I am able to be truly happy and really enjoy my life. I am thankful for my health, physically and mentally, as well as the health of those around me.

Everyone shares their thankfulness around Thanksgiving time and in the holiday season, though I encourage you all to share that thankfulness year-round. It's important to acknowledge the wonderful things in your life and not just when a holiday encourages you to.