Why Thanksgiving is Actually the Most Awkward Holiday

As a college student, Thanksgiving break is just plain awkward

43

When there are still leaves falling from the trees, yet Christmas ads have already begun to overwhelm every media source there is, yet the obsession with everything pumpkin spice still persists, that could mean only one thing: it is Thanksgiving season. Always the awkward period caught between not quite autumn but not quite winter, Thanksgiving is an even more awkward period for those in college – for multiple reasons.

1. It's a break, but it's a stressful break.

Knowing that you have less than a week before you have to return to school to finish up classes and take finals is enough to stress out even the most prepared students. Although you get a small break to see your family and get away from campus for a few days, odds are you still have a few assignments to work on that are due as soon as you get back from break.

2. Answering the same questions for different relatives at least fifteen times.

Although you appreciate the fact that your family is interested in what is going on in your life, answering the same questions over and over again can get pretty tiring. Yes, I’m doing well in all my classes. No, I’m not exactly sure what I want to do after college. Yes, I started dating someone. No, we’re not getting married any time soon.

3. Having just enough time to get bored in your own home, yet not enough time to meet up with friends.

Spending time with the family is great, but it would also be nice to see your friends from back home. Unfortunately, that isn’t always possible when you’re only home for a few days over the Thanksgiving break – especially when your family has already booked up your break with family activities or a family trip. Luckily, winter break is coming up soon, so you’ll get more time to see anyone you couldn’t see while home for Thanksgiving.

4. Being mature enough to understand what all the adults are discussing, yet not quite mature enough to be able to actually contribute to the conversation.

You know enough about politics and even history to know what the adults are talking about, but you have yet to really experience much that would be worthwhile to add to the discussion. This is especially true when your experiences and political opinions differ from ideologies of your family, meaning that anything you do contribute would just lead to an argument.

5. Trying to find some alone time, but your family keeps finding ways to pull you out of your room.

Amidst the time spent with your family, sometimes it can be beneficial to get away from everything for some alone time. Unfortunately, your family might have something else in mind, thus drawing you out from seclusion so as to be social.

6. Still being in a food coma from “Friendsgiving” when going home for family Thanksgiving.

Friendsgiving: the time to celebrate with friends over loads of food, leading to a food coma that lasts for days.

Thanksgiving: the time to force yourself out of the Friendsgiving food coma just in time for another food coma.

7. Coming home to your room for the first time in a while and immediately noticing any change that your family has made to it.

When you aren’t able to visit home often, odds are your room is put to use by those still living in your house. Whether your room is used as storage is simply slightly sifted through by someone looking for a particular object or article of clothing, odds are that you’ll be able to detect exactly what is out of place from where you left it.

8. Just when you’ve truly gotten to relax, it’s time to head back to school.

The most awkward part about Thanksgiving break is undoubtedly its length: just long enough to give you time with your family and a little time to relax, but not enough time to do much more than homework. As soon as you finish all of your assignments, it’s suddenly Saturday night and almost time to return to campus for the rest of the semester. The only thing that keeps you going is the thought that winter break is coming soon.