A List Of Things I Never Thought I Would Thank My Parents For Teaching Me

#12 is the scariest one yet
286

Our parents or guardians are our teachers. From a young age, children look up to their elders for day to day tasks. It's our instinct to learn from the people we are supposed to trust the most. It's easy to take advantage of how much they really do teach us, considering most are small tasks you would've learned eventually. It wasn't until I was cleaning up some bedding after a sleep over where I was the only one who knew how to fold a fitted bed sheet that I truly appreciated that I had someone to teach me that. So here is a list of tasks I am glad my parents taught me how to do.

1. Fold a fitted bed sheet

It's really not that hard, but some people seem to think it's impossible. If I'm being honest, it's probably because they're just trying to fold it without a method and that is their first mistake.

2. Chop wood

Living in an area where it gets insanely cold, a wood stove can help save so much money on electric. To have a wood stove though, you need to have chopped wood. You could totally use an ax, but it's much easier and faster to use a wood cutter.

3. Properly wash my laundry

All I can say is that I'm glad my life didn't end up like one of those infomercials where you screw everything up. You taught me how to do laundry early on, and it's something that needs to be done frequently. It is handy to know especially being away at college where I don't have a mom or dad to do my laundry for me.

4. Change a shower head

Who doesn't want to have a wild shower party like this kid? In order for that to happen, you need to know how to change things like a shower head.

5. Unclog a drain

It would be a little gross to show a gif, but it's a handy task you need to know. Not just how to unclog a toilet, because that's easy when you have plunger. Your sink tends to collect more than you would think and it builds up. Who knows, maybe one day you'll drop something down the sink that's valuable. If you know how to unclog a drain, you'll know how to retrieve that item.

6. Cook a mean scrambled egg

This is just a classic food, and one of many, that I have learned how to cook. There are so many ways you could spice up this style food, but you need to know how to cook the basics. Once you know how to cook this, you have breakfast for everyday of the week.

7. Balance a check book

Not that I actually use a check book daily yet, but I know the basics on how to use one. Some day in the future I will be a pro at using one.

8. Use big kid tools

There is going to come a time in my life where I need to use a screwdriver, and not just one of those tiny manual ones. It's nice to know that out of the majority of my friends, I'm the only one with a tool box. You never know when you're going to need tools.

9. How to navigate a grocery store

It's so easy to walk in and decide that you want everything. I learned to make a list of what I need (and to double check before I leave to make sure I have everything.) When you stumble upon something that isn't on the list, their has to be a clear and reasonable justification to buy it. I also learned to have an order to the groceries. You don't want to be walking back and forth to collect your items. Travel isle to isle.

10. Cleaning a bathroom

It's so easy to just casually wipe down the surface of the counters and the toilet seat with a wipe and then call it a day. When I'm older, I'll know exactly what products to buy and how to get into all of the nooks and crannies.

11. Pump gas

It's weird to think that in some states, people never have to learn how to pump their own gas. What happens when you travel outside of those comforting borders and you run low on gas? I can confidently say that I will be set because I learned how to pump my own gas.

12. Make phone calls

I like to think that I look like a very casual business woman when I'm on the phone, but often times I look like this. Talking on the phone can be scary when you don't know what to say, but it's easier to make phone calls when they're on speaker and my mom is mouthing the words I need to say.