To All The Women Who Inspired Me To Teach

To All The Women Who Inspired Me To Find My Passion In Teaching

Thank you for being extraordinary teachers.

138
https://pixabay.com/en/classroom-school-desks-rows-1910012/

Teachers continue to shape the lives of their students, current, former and past as if it is a natural portion of their job description. Many students, throughout their school career, can recall at least one teacher who influenced their lives in a positive manner. Teachers who go above and beyond for the groups of kids they instruct can hold lasting effects on the futures of each child in their class. I was fortunate enough to be one of these kids.

This is my story.

Flashback to a middle school-aged child with little direction as far as what she wanted to do in high school and college. Eighth grade was a tumultuous year in my life, full of drama and insecurity. However, thanks to two amazing teachers that I had, my life changed forever...

Civics and Science. One of my best subjects butting heads with one of my worst. I had science first thing in the morning and civics as my last class of the day. I will never forget the first time I walked into my science class, completely intimidated by the subject matter, but met with the smiling face of Mrs. C. Throughout the quarters of eighth grade, Mrs. C challenged me and taught me to push through uncertainty. I entered her class as a scared transfer student with no friends and left her class, not only with new knowledge but also with a new sense of confidence that I previously lacked. I hope to do this for my students one day.

Fast forward to my ninth hour on the same day. When most students my age were concerned with getting home, I was pumped to learn about the American government. Mrs. G was the first person I admired in terms of career choices. Not only was she super cool and stylish, but also she just demonstrated such a command over her classroom. I watched her teach and suddenly thought, "This. This is what I want to do with my career." Although I've never told her about this moment of clarity that I had in her classroom, I am forever grateful to have been her student. It has inspired me to become a teacher like her.

Once I got to high school and knew where my life was headed in some sense, I met Mrs. E. My sophomore year of high school was tricky at best, but my English teacher showed me how a passion for a particular subject matter can become the biggest motivator for your students. She helped me solidify that my passion for English would be the reason that I would teach it.

When I became a junior in high school and started to apply to colleges, Mrs. D was my English teacher. From her classroom, I also learned about passion. However, it was more in the form of becoming your true self, and following your dreams. I never thought of myself as a poet until I had the pleasure of being in Mrs. D's class. She encouraged me to continue writing and editing even when I did not believe in my work anymore. If it was not for her, I would not be the writer I am today.

In my senior year of high school, I had Mrs. K as my English teacher. At this point in time, my career path was mostly solidified. I had gotten into college as an English Education major and started to take entry-level college of education courses. I had the most fun learning about British Literature in this class. So much so, that it is my area of concentration as a future teacher. Mrs. K also inspired me to follow my passion. British Literature was always something that I absolutely took an interest in. I hope to model my classroom and mode of instruction after Mrs. K's approach to learning.

Lastly, I had two history teachers throughout my high school career. Mrs. G and Mrs. M. They both taught me the importance of being informed and informing my students. Additionally, they taught me the significance of inclusion in the classroom. They also taught me how integral it is to build closeness and trust between the instructor and the students.

Thank you to all of the teachers who inspired me to take on such a humbling and rewarding career. As I go through school, I think of each of you and how your impact on my life will influence that of my students.