Why You Should Be Thankful To Live In America Even When Donald Trump Is President
Politics

Do you truly believe that our country is doomed? These 10 countries will make you think again.

1824
Google

It's been just a week since Donald Trump was named the president-elect of the 2016 Presidential Election, yet it has not been much of a celebration. In the last week, hate crime, discrimination, racism, sexism, fights, protests and riots have broken out across America; some of which supporting Donald and others the exact opposite as thousands of Americans have come together in advocating the #NotMyPresident movement.

In the last week, we've seen thousands of U.S. citizens crying on television, stories of Trump supporters attacking innocent citizens, other citizens attacking Trump supporters, and it seems like we've heard nothing but the doom we as a country are bound to face as the new presidency takes office.

In the last month, we've talked about how screwed the country will be regardless of whoever wins the presidency, but people do not realize how incredibly lucky we still are as a country to live somewhere where we have rights and freedom.

People are so focused on how bad Trump will ruin this country that we often forget that even though our future president won the election after running as a joke, we almost always have, still do, and probably always will have it way better than these countries.

Somalia

Somalia is hands down one of the worst countries to live in with no laws and a very little chance of stabilization. Run by pirates and warlords, the country has virtually no economy other than the black market and a heavily drug based economy along with exploiting the absence of government due to the pirate invasions and attacks. Even though multiple neighboring African countries and the United States have both made attempts to establish a government system, it is too late as the nation is completely economically unstable and full of war violence. Common to other African nations, thousands of lives have been taken by AIDS and Malaria in recent years, and the average life expectancy of the nation is 49 years old.

North Korea

Every year, close to 1 million people die of starvation and the government is making it worse after deciding to invest all of its money into building multiple 100 story buildings, including a nuclear arsenal. The isolated country is full of palaces and monuments in memorial and honor of their leaders Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong Il, even though basically the best news and chance of hope for the nation was when one of their leaders was diagnosed with cancer. However even if he dies, another tyrannical autocrat would take his place while continuing the obscure leadership of caring little for the people but focusing only on building massive military infrastructures, which will only lead to more bankruptcy in the country. Some hope was shown by South Korea wanting to reunite, but unfortunately it would not be until later on.

Zimbabwe

Facing complete economic failure under a dictatorship, Zimbabwe was once wealthy but is now one of the poorest nations in the world. Dictator Robert Mugabe is one of the top 10 most hated people in the world as he continuously makes irrational economic decisions driving him to destroy the country even more. The $200 GDP shows that there is little hope of any economic revival unless the dictatorship is overthrown.

Laos

This completely landlocked country is the 44th poorest nation in the world and shows no sign of reducing poverty anytime soon. Communism throughout the country has become more oppressive, people die of starvation everyday, and a very high possibility that the country of Laos may collapse eventually turning into a part of the country of Burma.

Sierra Leone

he blood diamond crisis is sincere in this small African nation as neither the government nor the largest United Nations mandate ever declared the prevention of violence associated with blood diamonds. Filled with poverty and war plagues, the country continues on a downward spiral full of violence and death unless the African Union establishes to somehow control the exports and trading of blood diamonds.

Mozambique

Diseases such as malaria and AIDS are believed to be the reason of the downfall of the country; however, there is little to no safe drinking water and the country itself continues to fall even after receiving aid from the United Nations.

The Central African Republic

Bordered by nations of Congo, Chad and Sudan, which are also some the worst countries to live in, lack of safe drinking water and continuous civil war makes this country deadly to live in. Genocides in the Congo and in Sudan drew many residents to fled to the C.A.R. in attempt to escape, but many found themselves in other problems within the country. Not only are starvation and violence both key contributors to the fall of this country, it also struggles with sustaining its own people let alone the refugees whom escaped from other countries, the C.A.R. is one of the worst countries to live in.

Myanmar (Burma)

This Southeast Asian nation is not only one of the poorest nations in the world, but is under one of the strictest junta governments with virtually no human rights. Isolation turned Myanmar to the government it has been put under; one that never meets with any officials of neighboring countries or even UN officials. Even after experiencing a typhoon which swept through the nation almost destroying it, the government did little to reach out to its people.

Chad

This country may contain the water source for Central Africa, but recently Lake Chad has almost completely dried up and has left nothing but drought and famine. Refugees are constantly escaping here from Sudan, and it's to the point where the country's capacity is overwhelming its already impoverished community and population. Unfortunately, even if the conditions worsen, the country is rather unnoticed and there is little that can be done to help stabilize the economy.

Democratic Republic of the Congo

Currently, this country is the second poorest nation after many years of war and genocide that has done nothing but inflict a humanitarian crisis. The economy has little to no hope in progressing back to sustainability even though the United Nations invested millions of dollars in aiding the humanitarian and structure relief of the country. Despite having one of the largest and most mineral rich supply, the people of the D.R.C. see little to no profits made from the resources the country has.

Sudan

Even though the government denies the genocide in the country, the people suffer from disease, starvation, rape and murder, along with genocide of the southern Christians inflicted by the northern Islamic government, which the international community has done nothing to stop. The ICC found Sudan President Umar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir guilty of violating human rights and is now recognized as an international criminal.

Do you HAVE to like Donald Trump just because he's president? No, absolutely not. But should you respect other people's political views? Yes, because as an American you have the right to free speech and even though you don't agree, the other party voted for who they believe could run the country.

Never in American history or even in the future will every single U.S. citizen be satisfied with the outcome of the presidential elections. But with the holidays and the inauguration coming up, remember to give thanks for everything you have here in this beautiful country and just how privileged you are even when you don't feel like it.