​A Thank You To My Siblings For Being The Best Role Models and Friends

Life's better with you two in it.

111
Abigail Shipley

To my brother and sister, thank you. Thank you for letting me tag along with you both to throw the football outside or listen in on some teenage sleepover gossip. Thank you for showing me how to be tough and have thick skin, but still being my shoulder to cry on whenever I need it. Thank you for introducing me to amazing music, T.V shows and the best stores to shop. Thank you for not always flipping out on me when I took the “annoying little sister” role too seriously. But most importantly, thank you for showing me what NOT to do if I want to stay out of trouble from mom and dad. You saved me a lot of days I could’ve spent grounded with no phone.

There is truly nothing more special or amazing than the bond shared between siblings and this is something I have grown to cherish more with my time away in college. My brother and sister each hold a unique role in my life and have taught me so many valuable life lessons that they might not be aware of.

To my brother, I will forever look up to you for your patience and compassion. I’m not sure how many little sisters can say that their older brother let them come along to late night adventures in high school or planned a surprise night trip to Santa Monica for their 15th birthday. If it wasn’t for you, I’m not sure even my music taste would be the same. You taught me how to not take everything so seriously and enjoy life. Thank you for always cracking jokes about the family with me and making road trips that much more fun with all our laughter. I can’t wait to continue to be your #1 fan and cheer you on as you continue to accomplish more and more in your life.

To my sister, I will forever look up to you for your big-heart and “no bullshit” attitude. We butted heads a lot more growing up, but until I stop taking your clothes I don’t think that’ll change. Throughout the recent years our bond has grown even more and I know I can come to you with any problems, from boys to school to fashion advice to skin care. You’ve shown me just how much hard work pays off and you inspire me every day to continue to work hard in school. Thank you for teaching me how to be tough and loving me unconditionally, despite what I may have “borrowed” from your room without permission.

This may be biased of me to say, but I truly do have the most amazing, loving, hilarious, intelligent and weird siblings out there. Our relationship was far from perfect growing up, but I can’t imagine my life without them in it.

I cherish the memories we share of family vacations, sleeping in the same room together on Christmas Eve, DM’ing hilarious tweets to one another, all the concerts we attended together and the laughs over Dad’s Facebook posts. I look forward to the memories we will continue to make as we grow older.

So, thank you to you both. For all the laughs and tears throughout the years. I know I could, and still can be, a pain in the ass, but your unconditional love always shines through.

I hope my future kids get the chance to share a bond even half amazing as ours.

Love,

Your hilarious, loving and sometimes annoying little sister.