10 Thank-Yous My Older Brothers Deserve
Siblings

10 Thank-Yous For The Older Brothers You Used To Wish Were Sisters

The older we get, the closer we grow. So thank you.

322
Melanie Bell

For most of our lives, we didn't get along. For most of my young life I wished you were sisters, but now that we're older, I wouldn't want that any less.

We've been through hell and back together and we're still going strong. We don't see each other as often and we're out living our own lives. Even that doesn't stop each other from phone calls and rare days together. But every time I see you or hear your voice, I'm reminded of how lucky I am.

So thank you.

1. Thank you for bearing the burden of our parents before me.

When I was younger, I don't think I realized that I probably have it the easiest. I'm the youngest, and the only girl, so pretty much everything is handed to me. But you taught me how to work for what I want.

2. Thank you for your support.

Without you, I wouldn't be where I was. Our parents questioned why and how I would get to school, how I would survive, but when I told you about it, you thought it was great and offered to help any way you could.

3. Thank you for listening.

I don't call as often as I should, but when I do you're more than willing to listen to me complain about school, work, and you don't say a thing. Or when I'm home and we hang out in my room talking about our fears and our future.

4. Thank you for calling me out on my bullshit.

When other people call me out, it doesn't really mean anything. But when you call me out on problematic things that I say, or stupid comments that I make about our family, you teach me how to be a better person.

5. Thank you for showing me all of the things you shouldn't have when I was a kid.

I wasn't supposed to be watching South Park and Family Guy when I was 10-years-old, but I did anyway because you were watching it. I have very fond memories attached to those shows because they were ones that I would watch with you.

6. Thank you for beating the levels on video games for me.

This is simple enough. I'm terrible at video games, and I don't even know why I'd have you beat them for me because I'd definitely just call you back in 20 minutes to ask you what I'm supposed to do next.

7. Thank you for going out of your way to pick me up.

You don't have to do it. You could just as well be in your room playing video games, or sleeping, or whatever it is that you do, but you took the time out of your day to come and pick up your little sister so you could spend time with me.

8. Thank you for not questioning my mood swings.

This is a new one. I was (and still kind of am sometimes) an angsty teen that would throw fits over the stupidest things. When we were both younger, you'd ask me why I'm so upset, or what happened, but now you pretty much mind your business unless I want to tell you about it (which is most of the time anyway).

9. Thanks for being down for trips anywhere at any time.

To the store, to Las Vegas, to the family vacation spot. It can be planned, or it can be spontaneous, it can be long or short, but you're pretty much always there. The night Pokémon Go was released, at midnight, we went driving around looking for Pokémon. When I turned 18, I wanted a tattoo, you took me to get my first one without question.

10. Thank you for always being there.

Not just physically, but also emotionally. I can barge into your room and plop down on your bed and talk for an hour, or I can find you in the corner at a busy family party and latch onto you like a leech, but a fun one. We can endure questions and conversation together.

My brothers and I haven't always been close, but the older we get, the closer we become. When life gets me down, I know I can always turn to them.