Thank You, Mom

Thank You, Mom

A real life superwoman
2208

If you're anything like me, you literally do not know how you would function without your mother. In my house, my mom does just about everything for just about everyone.

Lost a shoe? Mom will find it.

Need to eat dinner? Mom will prepare it.

Have to be picked up after practice? Mom is there.

She does everything for everyone, yet gets none of the credit. In my family, it is my dad who works. It is my dad who has the glorified job that allows him business trips to places all over the world, and fancy office parties, and a flashy title and respect amongst his peers.

My mother, on the other hand, gave up her career after years of law school in order to raise our family. Something that my now-mid college self-recognizes for exactly what it was--an enormous sacrifice. To imagine working as hard as I am at something I care so passionately for, only to give it all up to raise a family is an incredibly painful thought. Yet this is exactly what my mother did.

By no means am I trying to diss working-mothers. Rather, I have immense amounts of respect for their ability to balance home-life and work-life and still do everything for everyone. I am simply trying to recognize the life-changing decision my mother made when she quit her job in order to raise our family.

Because being a mother is a full-time job. It has the worst hours and no salary.

And unlike any other job where a job well-done is rewarded with promotions, and more time and responsibility, motherhood is the exact opposite. When you do a good job your kids leave you--they go to school and get jobs halfway across the country. And rather than any promotions or pay raise, you're simply left in the dust.

When you're younger the job entails wiping runny noses and tying shoes and kissing "boo-boos". And then it involves parent-teacher conferences and french-braids and dance recitals. And then it involves slammed doors and frustrated screams and a whole lot of attitude. And then it involves letting go. Essentially watching this thing that you've molded for 18 years fly off into the world, while you stay exactly where you are.

And while yes, I'm sure that any mother would say that it is the most rewarding job in the world, and that they can't imagine what their life would be without it, it is undoubtedly incredibly taxing.

So this is an official thank-you to my mom, and to all the other moms (and dads!) out there who have made countless sacrifices and placed their kids before themselves every single time. We love you, we appreciate you, and we undeniably would not be the same without you.

XO