T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U, E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U, E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!

57 Years Later, We Are The Champions Again. Thank You Eagles.

201
T-H-A-N-K  Y-O-U, E-A-G-L-E-S, EAGLES!
The Franklin

December 26, 1960: Four weeks before John F. Kennedy is inaugurated as the 35th President, the Philadelphia Eagles defeat the Green Bay Packers (led by second-year head coach Vince Lombardi) to win the NFL Championship

January 24, 1961: Michael Timothy McCarrick is born as the 4th child of Connie and William McCarrick.

February 24, 1994: In the year Jeffrey Lurie buys the Eagles, Michael James McCarrick is born as the 1st child of Eileen and Michael Timothy McCarrick.

February 4, 2018: The Philadelphia Eagles defeat the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 52 by a score of 41-33 to win their first Vince Lombardi trophy and first NFL title since 1960.

These four dates I remember well because even though we’re a generation apart, my dad and I have never been alive for an Eagles championship. And on the night of Super Bowl 52, we got to share that ultimate moment of joy we’ve waited for all our lives along with our family.

Even though I have lived through plenty of heartbreaking losses as an Eagles fan, I’m one of the lucky fans. Most fans like my dad, Merrill Reese, Ray Didinger, Howard Eskin, Anthony Gargano, Angelo Cataldi, Mike Missanelli, Glen Macnow, waited over twice as long for this day as fans my generation have. They saw decade after decade of losing, dysfunction, mockery, and misery. I read about those dark days which was one thing, but living through them had to be another thing all entirely.

When Carson Wentz tore his ACL, I prepared a list to publish on Odyssey titled “The 11 Worst Moments in Eagles History” which I planned to post in the event they were to be eliminated from the playoffs. That, of course, didn’t happen but I’m going to use that list for another purpose:

Remember 1960, and how long it really has been.

Remember the trading of Hall of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen to the Washington Redskins in 1964.

Remember the dreadful 60s and 70s that spanned Negadelphia Eagles fans, highlighted by the mythologized event of fans throwing snowballs at Santa that will never go away.

Remember opening day at Veterans Stadium when they got crushed by the eventual champion Dallas Cowboys in 1971.

Remember Dick Vermeil finally turning the team around only to lose Super Bowl 15 to the Raiders in 1980 as favorites.

Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s and how the Cowboys, Giants, and Redskins all got their turn at a Super Bowl title without the Eagles winning one.

Remember The Fog Bowl and the disappointing shortcomings for the Buddy Ryan teams that had tremendous talent but never lived up to expectations.

Remember the tragic loss of Jerome Brown.

Remember the franchise's all-time greatest player who was willing to come back to Philly, Reggie White, becoming the first major NFL free agent as he left for Green Bay.

Remember Norman Braman.

Remember Rich Kotite and going from 7-2 to 7-9 in 1994.

Remember booing Donovan McNabb when he was selected 2nd overall in the 1999 draft.

Remember Joe Jurevicius and Rhonde Barber shutting down the Vet on the darkest day in Eagles history.

Remember Ricky Manning Jr. for the Panthers in 2003 NFC Championship Game at the Linc.

Remember Super Bowl XXXIX, Rodney Harrison, the terrible time management and “the puking.”

Remember the T.O. vs. McNabb drama.

Remember Larry Fitzgerald and ANOTHER small-market Super Bowl virgin making their first appearance at the Eagles expense.

Remember the Dream Team and the end of The Andy Reid Era.

Remember the Chip Kelly disaster.

Even remember the day Carson Wentz tore his ACL this season.

Now step back, take a breath, and look where we are now.

All those moments of pain and misery are far behind us. Because today, the Philadelphia Eagles stand as Super Bowl champions. Forget the past, take a pause on thinking of the future for a moment. For on this day, the Philadelphia Eagles are the reigning and defending World Champions.

It was all in a season when smart, rational Eagles fans weren’t expecting a championship, but modestly predicted a playoff berth at best. This season, this team, this outcome has blown everyone away, and there is almost nothing I would change about this year except Jason Peters and Jon Dorenbos being able to play in the Super Bowl and that Meek Mill was a free man to witness the epic occasion.

Words can’t describe how I feel about this team except that it’s my favorite Eagles team of all-time and my favorite Philadelphia sports team in history. (Sorry 2008 Phillies you’re a close second, but this is a pro football town). And all I can say is Thank You.

Thank you to Jeffrey Lurie, an owner who has been underappreciated since buying the team in 1994 and has guided the franchise to more success than in all previous Eagle ownerships combined. You haven’t been given enough respect as an owner, but it’s here.

Thank you to Howie Roseman, your story is a great American story of hard work, perseverance, and second chances as you made the most of your second chance. There were thousands of doubters who thought the Eagles couldn’t win with you in charge and that you’d screw everything up. You, Joe Douglas and Andy Weidl have created a masterpiece with the 2017 Philadelphia Eagles.

Thank you to Doug Pederson, I’ll admit to being underwhelmed by your hiring in 2016. I thought it was more of a business decision to get a guy that Lurie and Roseman were comfortable with and I just couldn’t picture you as a Super Bowl head coach. I couldn’t be happier to be wrong about something. Some will debate on who's the best coach in team history whether it’s you, Andy Reid, Dick Vermeil, or Buddy Ryan, but you have something they don’t, a Lombardi trophy for Philadelphia. Thank you to the remarkable coaching staff of the likes of Frank Reich, Jim Schwartz, John Defilippo, Duce Staley, and all the rest.

A thank you to all the players, whether you played every snap or were on the practice squad, you all contributed.

Nick Foles, who was labeled a “Drunken Giraffe” on radio and the internet, had the three greatest games ever played by an Eagles quarterback when you were needed most. You are a Philadelphia immortal.

Carson Wentz, you weren’t the one who finished the job, but we would not have gotten into the number one seed without you, you were the real MVP this year. Now it’s your turn.

An offensive line who’s character and personality fit the greatness they displayed all year. Jason Peters, Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce, Allen Barbre, Brandon Brooks, Stefan Wisniewski, Halapoulivaati Vaitai and Isaac Seumalo, you were all phenomenal.

Backs and receivers like Brent Celek, Zach Ertz, Corey Clement, Nelson Agholor, Darren Sproles, Mack Hollins and Trey Burton, you all made the plays when called upon.

Newcomers like LeGarrette Blount, Jay Ajayi, Chris Long, Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith, Timmy Jernigan and the rest who instantly became ingrained in the great culture of the Eagles and Philadelphia.

Special teamers like Jake Elliot (please make all your extra points though), Chris Maragos, Donnie Jones and the rest, thank you for doing your job in the high-pressure moments of the game.

Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Jordan Hicks, Vinny Curry, Derek Barnett and the defensive front, thank you for making the spirits of the Gang Green Defense proud with your relentless pursuit of the ball-holder. The Patriots might have contained you for most the Super Bowl, but when it mattered most you made the play you had to make to win the Super Bowl.

Malcolm Jenkins, Jalen Mills, Corey Graham, Ronald Darby, Patrick Robinson, Jalen Watkins, Rodney McLeod, Rasul Douglas and even Sidney Jones, thank you for making an area of defense that had been burned for years and completing one of the best defenses in the league and a championship squad.

Every single person who made a positive contribution to the 2017 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles from the guys on the field to staff on the sidelines to the executives to the fans who only tweeted #FlyEaglesFly, thank you for this magical dream season that was a gift from God.

This may be ironic because I’m about to quote a former head coach of the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots, but in the words of Hall of Famer Bill Parcells:

“For the rest of your life, nobody can ever tell you that you couldn’t do it cause you did it!”