A Thank You Letter To My Ex-Boyfriend

A Thank You Letter To My Ex-Boyfriend

Because I never would have discovered true happiness if you hadn't left me.

90668

Dear Ex-Boyfriend,

It has been almost a year since the last time we talked. I don’t know what you’ve been up to, but I hope you’re doing okay. I have deleted your number and we have disconnected on social media, so I really have no way of checking up on you. If you’re wondering how I’m doing since you left, I am doing great. I am having the time of my life, and I am finding things that make me happier than ever before. I am focusing on what’s important: myself.

Our relationship isn’t something I regret. In fact, it taught me so many lessons. The times we shared together were incredible and you made me so happy, at least for a little while.

But I just wanted to thank you for the part you played in my life to get me to where I am today.

Thank you for making me so happy because I’ve realized I can be even happier.

You tried to do absolutely anything and everything to make me happy. You sent me cute texts, you cheered me up when I was sad, you flew up and down the east coast to see me, you acted like a 5 year old in a candy shop with me, and you loved me. While all these things made me happy, it was only temporary happiness. I have now realized that I can be constantly happy by surrounding myself with people and things that make me happy. I no longer have to rely on you for my happiness.

Thank you for loving me for me.

Thank you for truly loving me for me. I didn’t have to be anyone else when I was with you, and you liked me just the way I was. That made me believe that it is possible for someone to fall in love with me and I know it is capable of happening again.

Thank you for the heartbreak, because it made me a stronger person as a result.

I will admit, it was a tough idea to process, the idea of not having you in my life. But, I have not only gotten over it, but I have grown into a better person because of it. I no longer let people manipulate me and walk all over me. I am much stronger than I was before and I thank you for that.

Thank you for leaving me for someone else because it made me realize how much better I can do.

I have realized that “forever” doesn’t always mean forever, and when it finally does, the person who says it won’t leave me for someone else. I will never tolerate lying and sneaking around and I want to thank you for making it so obvious to find out. I can do so much better and I can’t wait to find out how happy the right person is going to make me.

Thank you for becoming the monster that you did, because if you hadn’t, I probably never would have discovered the toxicity of the relationship I was in.

All of your harsh words and childish acts toward the end of our relationship made me discover the scary person you could be. I would never want to be with someone like that. Looking back now, the relationship was never healthy—not letting me hang out with my friends, picking you over my family, causing drifts in my friendships. I am relieved I was able to get out of it when I could.

Thank you for making me realize there are more important things in life.

After you left, I put all of my energy into my friends, my family, and my school. My friends and family make me happier than you ever could and I am beyond obsessed with my school. I am on the road to becoming successful and I know I have a future ahead of me. There are much more important things than trying to save a relationship that cannot be saved.

I put my all into my relationships and I did everything I could to make you stay. But, everything happens for a reason, and there was definitely a reason our relationship came to an end.

I really do hope you can find someone who makes you happy one day. Good luck with everything.

Love Always,

Your Very Thankful Ex-Girlfriend