A Thank You Letter To My Amazing Single Mom

You were both parents when I needed you to be.

6279
Erica Woodward

Single parents don't get enough credit and I'm here to change that. A lot of people may think being raised by a single parent is the worst, but it's the complete opposite. My mom has taught me to be tough, to stick up for myself and not to care what anyone thinks of me. I get to watch Wonder Woman in action every day, tell me that doesn't sound like the coolest gig in the world. So it's only fitting my first post be to and about the person I love most in this world.

To my Dearest Mommy,

I want to thank you. I really don't say it enough and for that, I'm sorry.

You took on the challenge of raising me by yourself without complaint or hesitation, because that's what parents do. And let me just say, you killed it. I have so much respect for single parents because doing this whole parenting thing alone cannot be easy.

I know I wasn't always the best child and I'm sure I made it harder than it needed to be. Regardless of said sassiness, I can't imagine my life any other way. I used to envy my friends that had both parents because it was something I never got to experience. But then I realized I have something they don't; You. The mom that was both parents when I needed it, the mom that stayed up till the wee hours of the morning making sure I had homemade cookies for bake sales, and the mom that will be my maid of honor when the time comes. I don't need both parents because I've got you.

Thank you for everything Mom. Thank you for giving me this extraordinary life full of adventure and excitement. Thank you for being my shoulder to cry on when stupid boys that don't even know I exist break my heart. And thank you for selflessly dedicating your life to me even when I'm a brat and don't deserve it. Thank you for being the best mom I could ever ask for. Everything I do is to make you proud and to try and give you back even a fraction of what you have given me. You deserve the world so I'm getting it for you.

Most importantly though, thank you for accepting me for who I am. I know we've gone through some tough times, but you've never stopped loving me and I'm so thankful for that. Even if you do question whether I'm from Earth sometimes (I do, too). Your undying support in any and all things I do means more to me then I could ever tell you. Knowing you support my dreams motivates me to work harder every day.

So thank you. Thank you for it all.

Thank you to all single parents for loving your children unconditionally and never giving up on us, even when the going gets tough. We're better people because you are our parents.

I love you so much Mom. Thank you for making this life the best adventure yet.

Love,

Your sometimes cranky, but always grateful daughter.

From Your Site Articles