A Thank You Letter To The Teacher Who Became A Mentor

Because the most important lessons are used outside the classroom.

8434
Anna DePasquale

From preschool to college we meet hundreds of educators who instill an incredible amount of knowledge into our developing brains. We form relationships with them, whether positive or negative. You are not guaranteed to love every teacher you encounter, but the good ones leave an impression. If you asked any person, no matter what age, they could probably name a teacher who inspired them in their years as a student. The student - teacher relationship is a vital one. They impart their expertise onto us, allowing a foundation of intelligence to form; one that we will carry with us for the rest of our lives. This is a thank you letter to those select few who go above and beyond for their students.

Dear Teacher,

Thank you for inspiring me. You pushed me to work harder and think smarter. You showed me that reading in between the lines can be more important that reading the lines themselves. You taught me things that no textbook could have. These are the lessons that will stay with me as I continue to grow, not only a student but a person too.

Thank you for not giving me the easy way out. You urged me to figure it out on my own instead of handing me the answers. This allowed me to become independent and strengthen my skills. It caused me to be incessant instead of giving up when things became difficult.

Thank you for preparing me for the real world. You warned me of what I may encounter and gave me advice to guide me through it. Although you teach in a classroom setting, the content of what you instruct is so easily applicable to the outside world. These are the most important lessons that I will ever learn.

Thank you for your dedication. I know not every student is appreciative or respectful. So thank you for not giving up on those who are because of it. Your persistent commitment speaks volumes.

Thank you for supporting me. You for cared and continue to care about my progress and achievements. Know that having you cheer me on has not only improved my performance but enhanced my drive and motivation. You took the time to encourage me and that has made a huge difference.

Thank you for being so much more than just a teacher. No one ever told you, you had to stay after school to tutor me. No one ever told you, you had to give me life advice. No one ever told you, you had to force me to think outside the box, but you did. You did all of these things and so much more, even though they were never in your job description.

Thank you for being you and for all you have done.