Thank You Letter To My Little Sister

A Thank You Letter To My Sister

We may not have gotten along growing up, but we love each other.

226

By looking at us, no one would ever guess we are sisters. Your caramel colored hair and deep brown eyes find themselves on an athletic girl standing at 5'2 ( and a quarter!). Who would ever guess you were related to the pale, ginger, 5'7 girl in the grade above you?

The close proximity in our ages meant we knew a lot of the same people and had a couple of teachers in common. Some siblings love this and take it as a chance for a built-in-friend, but many don't. Especially when they are as different as us. You excelled on the softball team and showed a penchant for business and marketing. I was a musical theatre kid, creative writing nerd and we were in totally different circles.

As the younger sibling, I wonder if there was any pressure to be different solely based on the fact I was older to avoid comparison. I'm going to pretend that spurred you into being the bold, beautiful and unapologetic you that you are today so I can take partial credit for how amazing your personality is.

In highschool, we fought excessively. A lot of the skirmishes were probably my misguided efforts to build a relationship with you, even if I just ended up annoying you. But, even then, I knew our family would be wildly different without you. Sure, I probably wasn't too pressed if you missed a family car ride because it meant more legroom. But the car felt so empty without the music of laughter after you inevitably made the whole car crack up. From your goofy catchphrases to impromptu songs, you bring so much joy to our family.

You are coming into your own and I am so grateful for a front row seat, especially since we get along now that teenage angst is over with. Love is so much more than high school circles or stereotypes. I am so lucky to have you as a little sister. I learn from your spunk every day and miss your classic "Lexi, Lexi Lexi..." instead of saying hi. You have also taught me to look for the ways in which different personalities complement each other instead of focusing on what seperates them. You have an amazing internship lined up, wonderful and supportive friends, and are in a great academic program. I am so excited to see where you go- just don't forget to always come home.

Love,

Your Big Sister