A Thank You Letter To My High School Coach

Thank you for everything you have done.

27338
Elizabeth Marcyoniak

As student athletes, coaches make up a pretty big part of our careers. Not only do our coaches teach us about our sport, but life lessons like leadership, teamwork, accountability, and punctuality. These lessons stay with us for life, even after our time in the sport is over.

In my high school career I was lucky to have many great coaches. When I got to college and was no longer playing a sport I realized how much of an impact they had on me. I also realized I never thanked them properly for everything they had done for me, so Coach this is for you.

Thank you for pushing me to be the best person I could be. Not only did you want me to succeed on the field, but in life as well. There were countless times when I just wasn't giving it everything I had. You recognized that and pushed me to give it my all. If it was a sprint or a shooting drill you always encouraged me to put everything I had into it. This is a lesson I will carry with me forever. It's helped me in the classroom and in everyday life. I now know not to settle and not to slack off, no matter what the task is.

Thank you for believing in me even when I didn't. There were so many days that I wanted to quit and give up, but you didn't let me. I'm not sure what would have happened if you let me walk away from the sport when I felt like I couldn't do it anymore. Your encouragement and support meant so much to me then and even more to me now.

Thank you for teaching me more about than just the sport. You taught me how to be a leader, how to be organized, and to be on time. Not only did these lessons help me in the season, but have effected my life. These qualities are all things that I pride myself on and I trace my learning back to the sport.

Thank you for all of the sacrifices you made for the team. It always amazed me how you could handle working and coaching at the same time. There was no way it could have been easy, but you always knew how to take care of everything and never seemed stressed out. You gave up sleeping in on Sunday mornings and time with your family so the team could practice.

Thank you for being a role model for me. Not only during the season, but everyday. Even now I still think about advice you have given me in the past, and what you would say to me now. I'm so thankful that we still have a close relationship and that I can still come to you when I need help or guidance.

As I start my career in coaching and teaching I want you to know that I am taking the lessons you taught me with me. One day I hope to be half of the coach you are and inspire and support other athletes like you have inspired and supported me.