10 Life Lessons As Taught By Parks and Recreation

We all have some Leslie Knope, Andy Dwyer, and Ron Swanson attributes in us!

25

There is always a lesson to be taken away from almost every television series. Parks and Recreation has become the go-to series for me and has taught me many of lessons that I never knew that I could learn from a comedy series. From the Little Sebastian memorial to "Sex Hair" by Mouserat, I will never get sick of Leslie and the parks department. Parks and Recreation will not only be something that I rewatch time and time again on Netflix, but will also be something that I look to for advice.

1. There is no relationship like the relationship between you and your best friend.

The relationship between Leslie and Ann is the perfect example of our relationships with our best friends. Yes, my best friend is a beautiful, rule-breaking moth, a poetic, noble land-mermaid and the only person that I can talk to about Sandra Bullock's runway fashion. But she is also someone that I will cheer on when she decides to go her own way which meant leaving me. Ann and Leslie grew together throughout the series and maintained one of the most envied friendships on television.

2. It's okay to eat breakfast for every meal.

Waffles? Waffle sundaes? Waffle makers? Why not? Breakfast is one of the best meals of the day, so why would you limit yourself to just eating it once?

3. You may not always know what is going on.

Andy did not seem to be a calculated, organized kind of guy like Ben Wyatt, but that's what made you love him! The spontaneity and carefree lifestyle was what made him who he was and that also made him pretty successful! If Andy would have never taken that job as a shoeshiner then he would have never met April, would have never came up with what may be the Parks and Recreation anthem, "5,000 Candles in the Wind", and would have never became Johnny Karate. Andy taught us that some of the best things come out of having no clue what is going on. Plus, it's just really fun to just turn to your alter ego, Bert Macklin, if things get boring.

4. Treat yo' self.

This GIF pretty much explains itself. Donna and Tom devoted an entire day to making themselves happy by buying whatever their hearts desired, but we should always go out and buy ourselves a full Batman costume if it's what makes us truly happy. If we want three big ass diamonds or fish previously owned by celebrities then we deserve them.

5. We can all be pessimistic at times and that is okay.

April hated talking to people, befriended people who created strange people farms where humans would dress as farm animals, and never wanted to admit to having a kind heart but we all could see how much she cared about the parks department. April has showed the most growth throughout Parks and Recreation and her way of showing her love for the department and those who she works with may just be different than others, but we all know that it's there.

6. Never trust a Tammy.

No one likes a woman who manipulates her way into marrying a man after convincing him to rock cornrows and abandon all of his morals. A Tammy is just a bad idea, do whatever you can stay away from them. Ron's multiple run ins with his ex-wives leaves us all avoiding any encounter with any woman named Tammy and the library.

7. It is LITERALLY the best to make the most out of every situation.

It may have been extremely annoying that Chris Traeger literally was positive at absolutely every moment, but it was literally contagious. Chris gave his 100% literally at all times. Even when things may have been tough for him, he was always there to shed light on literally every absolutely amazing moment for his friends

8. The nice guys typically finish first.

Jerry/Larry/Terry/Barry/Gary Gergich was the character at the root of all jokes throughout the series, yet he was married to one of the most beautiful women in the world. His marriage did surprise and confuse a lot of his friends, but exemplified the whole idea that nice guys deserve the girl. Jerry was helpful, friendly, and always willing to leave his retirement to help the parks department whenever needed. So nice guys who may or may not fall into creeks while reaching for dropped burritos or strap themselves into their chair with their belts, keep doing what you're doing because who knows, you may marry Christie Brinkley.

9. Always be confident in who you are.

The simplistic, traditional life-style is the life for Ron Swanson and he lives it with his every breath. Ron's self-assurance and confidence in who he is and what he believes in is admirable. We may not be able to roast an entire pig named Tom, make award-winning wicker chairs, or consume as much Lagavulin Scotch whiskey as Ron but we can learn to be confident in who we truly are. He may hide his Duke Silver saxophone playing alter ego from his coworkers for the first couple of seasons, but he sure does whatever he wants, whenever he wants and we should too.

10. Never give up on your hopes and dreams.

If there is one lesson to take away from Parks and Recreation, this is it. From the beginning, Leslie Knope identified herself as someone who was one day going to be the first female president and build herself that park. She may have not became president, but she sure did build that park in Lot 48. Leslie faced many obstacles, whether that be Council Member Jamm, her very own town after finding out that she was born in Eagleton, and the mess of getting lost in the papers for the National Parks and Recreation Department, Leslie's determination was never lost. She was able to get the career that she wanted, marry the love of her life, and that large oven shown in her MRI proved to be successful with the conception of her triplets. Leslie Knope is the definition of someone who never gives up on herself and her desires and if that is not the biggest life lesson from Parks and Recreation, then I don't know what is.