Thank You For Never Asking Me For Adderall

Why those with A.D.D. really need it.

43
Lorelei Sanders

It's almost exam time. Everything is due all at once and it's the most stressful time of year. Deadlines are crunching, anxieties are high, and those borderline averages are placing so much pressure upon students that many of us feel trapped under the weight of stress. But despite all of this pressure, I have to thank my fellow students for never asking me to give them Adderall.

I have ADD and it's severe. I have to be medicated or else I literally can't focus. My attention span is about the equivalent of a squirrel, my thoughts race so fast that they all start blending together into some undecipherable chaos, and my work ethic is completely nonexistent. If I didn't take Adderall, I would probably be failing. My life is literally the physical embodiment of the song "Maintain Consciousness" by Relient K.

"Our concentration, it contains a deadly flaw. Our conversations change from words to blah, blah, blah. We took prescription drugs, but look how much good that did. Well, I think I had a point, but I just got distracted. Lately it just seems to me like we've got the letters A.D.D. branded into our mentality. We simply can't focus on anything."

It's the hardest thing just to focus on one thing, let alone the many obligations that college places on us. I constantly hear about students asking classmates like me for their pills, but this is something I have never faced on my college campus. For that I want to say thank you. Thank you for never asking me for my Adderall. Thank you for understanding that I need it to function and that it's not courteous to ask for something like that. Thank you for not wanting to put me into a legal confrontation since selling or giving out pills is an illegal activity. Why can't everyone be as sensible as all of you?

I'm not being sarcastic in thanking you guys. However, I do want to suggest that if you do ask a friend for their A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. medications, please stop it now. Stop for their sake. They need it way more than you do. With that being said, good luck on finals, everyone!